4 corner mod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
Nissan, used to have the lowest standards of all the manufacturers. I worked in a brand new state of the art Japanese wheel plant. we made wheels for everything including Bentley wheels that got gold played.

I was only a contractor but worked in every single area including xray. nissan did not give a shìt if there was a void inside the wheel as long as it held air. about 25% of all wheels were xray but until the casting machines were in full swing every single wheel got x-rayed until they were consistently perfect.

we rejected and melted any wheel with any kind of defect in it. we had much higher standards than nissan. maybe things have changed, that was about 15 years ago.

hell if I'm using connectors like that, I solder them too. :) the fog lights on my Burb for example have connections that can come apart but they are absolutely soldered and have a vinyl cover so no water can enter. they are also protected with a good amount of dielectric grease smothered all over the connection once it was made.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
we had much higher standards than nissan. mayne things have changed, that was about 15 years ago.
That was after Renault bought them out and Carlos Ghosn put them on a rabid cost-cutting plan. I was a Nissan tech in the late '90s when Nissan was building Rolls Royces for Chevy money. The metallurgy and machine work in their production engines in the mid-90s was the bar by which every other manufacturer was measured. They were hemorrhaging cash.

nissan did not give a shìt if there was a void inside the wheel as long as it held air.
I haven't heard of any massive recall of Nissan wheels, so it appears they made the right decision.

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
Ah, Erik I now remember you explaining this before. its interesting how 1 person can cause such grief in a company. just look at gm.....

I dont think any wheel manufacturer would send a void out the door. the liability is just way to great.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
its interesting how 1 person can cause such grief in a company.
Grief or not, Ghosn turned them from $250 million in debt to profitability in five years. Then they turned on him and tossed all his skeletons out of the closet for the world to see so they could install their own CEO. He was flawed, but he made money. Ghosn needed more oversight, but the Nissan board wasn't clean enough to do it, and Renault didn't want them to have that power anyways. It bit all of them in the ****.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
LED's in reflector housings is a dick move to anyone else unfortunate enough to share the road with you.
Que??? "...dick move"?
Hmmm...Do you really think that they are all that obtrusive?
99% of the people that don't own these trucks don't even notice the mod
...and about 75% of the ones that do, don't notice either.
It's not like they are LEDs in these truck's headlight housings with no glare caps.

There's even LEDs in the bumper lights, too.

Attachments

• Uppercornerlights001.jpg
    Uppercornerlights001.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 11
  • NewheadlightsRPUtop002.jpg
    NewheadlightsRPUtop002.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 11

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Que??? "...dick move"?
Hmmm...Do you really think that they are all that obtrusive?
99% of the people that don't own these trucks don't even notice the mod
...and about 75% of the ones that do, don't notice either.
It's not like they are LEDs in these truck's headlight housings with no glare caps.

There's even LEDs in the bumper lights, too.
Your rite. Most people don't notice the mod, and that's 400 owners. Those that don't own a 400 don't know about it at all, but for me, I just like the mod. IMO it's a little thing that GM should have done from the factory. I have SO many little mods like that on my truck, that I don't remember them all, but when I'm at the car show, I get so many comps on how clean my truck is, and how you just don't see them like that any more. IMO, all the little mods work together to make it a better, much nicer truck.