Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
So I thought I stumbled across a good deal. A one ower, 95 k1500, 84k miles, manual transmission, always garaged. Until I opened up the hood.
It's the 4.3 v6. I cried a little inside. Although honestly I won't tow anything and don't haul very much, just wanted a casual off road truck. Should I consider it?

Down the line, if I do pick it up, could I easily put a 5.7 into it?

Goose 3406

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Honestly i would consider it. Bein that its one owner and such low miles it sounds like it will make you a good truck as long as they kept up on maintenence. That and 4.3s are not a terrible motor, although they might be a tad underpowered in a bigger truck. But i would imagine that it wouldnt be too hard to swap in a 5.7 if you really wanted to.

Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, can't you put throttle body injectors from the 5.7 onto to the 4.3 throttle body, for easy extra power even mpg?

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
K1500, so 4x4? Snatch it. I saw in your other posts it's also a manual. That's a rare truck. I've got me an '89 K1500 regular cab short box with a 350. Motor is dead, swap is in progress though. Can't wait to have it back on the road.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
I'm no expert but I'd say without tuning it would just run pig rich, if it runs at all. Computer handles pulse width and all that fancy jazz and so without a tune, it still thinks it's got the tiny injectors and will not run right. Lots of guys try running larger injectors in their LoPo ford 302's with bad results for that exact issue. Just run it as is, especially if it's got no issues.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
The powertrain. At least to me it is. Stickershift 4x4 is rare to me, especially by 1995. Rarity goes up if it's a short box, regular cab. What options does it have? Power windows? Tilt wheel? A/C? ect ect?

Our '89 K1500 is maybe the second or third regular cab, short box, 350, five speeed, 4x4 GMT400 truck I've seen. I'm pretty sure one was a 305 too. This one would be fully loaded if it wasn't for the Scottsdale trim & if it had power windows, locks & carpet. :)

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
id go for it. the 4.3 will hold its own when hooked to a trailer once in a while, plus youll have 2 less cylinders to feed when your just A to B driving. plus its got a manual transmission. if you can get it for a good price I vote to go for it. ive got a buddy with a 98 rclb k1500 that is a 4.3 5speed and we pull his pontoon all over hell and back with no issue.

Reaction score
Tough choice. Cause the 91 Scottsdale I already have is almost as good condition, with a manual 5.7, I've just wanted a regular cab.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I say go for it. I've never driven a TBI V6 truck, but my Vortec 4.3 C1500 has plenty of guts for a daily driver. Usually averages over 20MPG per tank, too. I'm sure the TBI is a little worse in the power and mileage departments than a Vortec, but the 4.3 is a great little engine.