3rd Brake Light Options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ghost350

Reaction score
The 3rd brake light on my 95 has 2 sockets that are partially melted but still work, but one of the cargo lights hasn't since i got the truck. Been looking around the ol' interwebs, but not sure on a good option for replacement. Bought a LED version, but when i plugged it in the brake light portion stayed on all the time. The OEM ones are discontinued. Is there a good LED version that I can get? Or has anyone ever modified one from a GMT800 or 900 to work on these trucks?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Joe Dirte

I'm an idiot!
Reaction score
The 3rd brake light on my 95 has 2 sockets that are partially melted but still work, but one of the cargo lights hasn't since i got the truck. Been looking around the ol' interwebs, but not sure on a good option for replacement. Bought a LED version, but when i plugged it in the brake light portion stayed on all the time. The OEM ones are discontinued. Is there a good LED version that I can get? Or has anyone ever modified one from a GMT800 or 900 to work on these trucks?

If it's same style I got you need to cut the yellow wire. I took the pin out n cut it. Mine did same thing til I cut it.

Joe Dirte

I'm an idiot!
Reaction score
=

Wish i'd known that a few months ago.... Got mad and threw it away! All these chinesium parts around, its hard to get anything worth a crap anymore!

True. I ordered a amoked one and a clear one since I had white truck too. Told Amazon I was sending em back n got credited. Forgot to send em then found out bout the yellow wire. One light had the paper with it, other one didn't.

F4U-1A

Early spring 24
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That third brake light, is that some kind of US nutter regulation. Cause, me thinks my filament went 24 yrs ago, And the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) have not got me yet>

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup. People weren't paying enough attention to the road, so they added a bright, high mounted light. Next step, they're going to make the brake light strobe standard instead of actually teaching people how to drive. Then we'll get self-driving cars, and the computers will be just great until they start to lose attention...