350 tbi towing build 10,000 lbs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brother Al

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, I have a 14 Bolt S-F 6 lug going into mine too... part of my "Z71 Correction"
IE, adding all the stock parts every "Z71 Offroad" shoulda had, including the lower forged A-Arms off the 1 Ton...

GM Guy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
before the slave cylinder crapped out and the Dex-Cool ate the gaskets, we pulled over 10K all the time with dad's 98 GMC C3500 5.7L Vortec NV4500 5spd 2wd with 4.10s. Some of the best loads were well north of 20,000 lbs combination, I dont think we ever broke 30,000 though.

The 350 is not going to be your limit, its the gearing and the chassis and brakes.

Keep in mind they put the 350 in old C series grain trucks (C60, etc) and guys would stretch them and put a tag axle and a 20 foot bed and would gross 50,000 lbs with them hauling grain. but they had deep geared trannys and rear ends and never set any speed records doing it.

Also, towing over weight is a personal responsibility. Drive safe and leave plenty of following distance, and be prepared to take the ditch. Cross fingers and thank the Lord I have never had any issues towing overweight. being legal weight can only go so far to battle stupidity. Occasionally you see someone at perfectly legal weights do something stupid and wreck the truck and possibly injure others.

I would say find a factory heavy truck to tow (2500HD, 3500 SRW and 3500DRW), and yes one with a 350 will be just fine. You cant "make" a 1 ton from a lighter truck, there is so many different things people overlook when doing their half-ass swaps.

If you want low cost decent pulling ability and fuel economy, look into a 6.5L diesel. a full set of injectors for one costs what one does on a D-max. With a good maintenance program and understanding, they are good tow rigs.

With some neglect and refusal to learn anything about one and blindly throwing money at one and letting your favorite local idiots work on it, it will be the most miserable POS you will ever own. :)

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
before the slave cylinder crapped out and the Dex-Cool ate the gaskets, we pulled over 10K all the time with dad's 98 GMC C3500 5.7L Vortec NV4500 5spd 2wd with 4.10s. Some of the best loads were well north of 20,000 lbs combination, I dont think we ever broke 30,000 though.

The 350 is not going to be your limit, its the gearing and the chassis and brakes.

Keep in mind they put the 350 in old C series grain trucks (C60, etc) and guys would stretch them and put a tag axle and a 20 foot bed and would gross 50,000 lbs with them hauling grain. but they had deep geared trannys and rear ends and never set any speed records doing it.

Also, towing over weight is a personal responsibility. Drive safe and leave plenty of following distance, and be prepared to take the ditch. Cross fingers and thank the Lord I have never had any issues towing overweight. being legal weight can only go so far to battle stupidity. Occasionally you see someone at perfectly legal weights do something stupid and wreck the truck and possibly injure others.

I would say find a factory heavy truck to tow (2500HD, 3500 SRW and 3500DRW), and yes one with a 350 will be just fine. You cant "make" a 1 ton from a lighter truck, there is so many different things people overlook when doing their half-ass swaps.

If you want low cost decent pulling ability and fuel economy, look into a 6.5L diesel. a full set of injectors for one costs what one does on a D-max. With a good maintenance program and understanding, they are good tow rigs.

With some neglect and refusal to learn anything about one and blindly throwing money at one and letting your favorite local idiots work on it, it will be the most miserable POS you will ever own. :)

unless the previous owners beat the **** out of the 6.5....wrong oil, overheat....etc.

Brother Al

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The vast majority of the old C60/Topkick series trucks in my area had the 366ci/427ci tall deck engines, because of the weight and terrain here. The pistons, block, crank, and valvetrain components are very heavy duty... unlike an '89 C/K smogger 350.

And that's a decent point GM Guy... if you are hauling heavy loads in the Plain States, a 350 could do the job, but I still dont think it'd be pretty,
...but add in hilly/mountainous terrain and your truck wont pull that kind of weight for long...

Being a New Englander, We have some pretty intereresting topography in that hills/steep grades are common place. Go into the Rockies and yeah, you'll be paying for a double tow...

Tavi

Vehicle enthusiasts
Reaction score
292 would stomp even a healthy 350 in the torque department and drink a 454 under the table. (Mild exaggeration)

Except maybe it's drinking problem.

I vote to drop the 350 and get a 292.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
292 would stomp even a healthy 350 in the torque department and drink a 454 under the table. (Mild exaggeration)

Except maybe it's drinking problem.

I vote to drop the 350 and get a 292.

there's some cool stuff STILL available to hop up a 292......there's a couple 600 HP versions out there....4bbl intakes, 3 deuces..turbos and all........one gent back in the early '70's i believe set track records with one. in a car!......i remember changing the starter from under the hood....beautiful blue beasts.

go check out http://www.langdonsstovebolt.com/

i REALLY want a warmed over 292 in a square body K/5.....with a 5 speed.

and yea,i think they sure did have a drinkin problem......but hell, max TQ was at 1400 rpms!

Brother Al

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Inline engines make far more power than a V-block. Problem with inlines is that AS you increase length for addition cylinders, fitment gets significantly harder to manage and crankshaft durability becomes a size, weight, and material type penalty. Inlines sure wont get ya there quickly, but they will outpull any V-block of similar displacement. GM's Atlas I4/5/6 are pretty sweet engines, despite a few oddball issues that anyone can overcome.
The last version of the Atlas I6, used in the Trailblazer/Envoy etc, had a lot of great experiences with the one I had in my Wife's Trailblazer... traded it in for the 2015 Acadia w/ AWD 3.6 V6 & 8 speed hunt-a-gear.... Nice Comfort, but BLYECK on towing, usable power, and do what I want NOW! vs the Trailblazer .. damn the GM Bankruptcy/Obama Car Czar for killing it off.

Anyway, interested to know what you might do.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
Inline engines make far more power than a V-block. Problem with inlines is that AS you increase length for addition cylinders, fitment gets significantly harder to manage and crankshaft durability becomes a size, weight, and material type penalty. Inlines sure wont get ya there quickly, but they will outpull any V-block of similar displacement. GM's Atlas I4/5/6 are pretty sweet engines, despite a few oddball issues that anyone can overcome.
The last version of the Atlas I6, used in the Trailblazer/Envoy etc, had a lot of great experiences with the one I had in my Wife's Trailblazer... traded it in for the 2015 Acadia w/ AWD 3.6 V6 & 8 speed hunt-a-gear.... Nice Comfort, but BLYECK on towing, usable power, and do what I want NOW! vs the Trailblazer .. damn the GM Bankruptcy/Obama Car Czar for killing it off.

Anyway, interested to know what you might do.

i know, i know....it's not GM.....but

my friend had a Golan 4.7....a stroker 4.0 Jeep engine in his '01 Cherokee....280 hp and 370 pound feet.....talk about potent!