350 gets close to stalling when stopping

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nilocsemliw

Reaction score
@Schurkey Browsing eBay people are selling 2005 reprogramable mt2500 cartridges for $300+. How far can these be programmed to and can I reprogram them myself? If I can find one for cheaper I will try and test it out.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Snap-On quit supporting the 2500 series in '09; so 09 or 08 is the newest software available.

Problem is, I bet none of the dealers kept the hardware the cartridge plugs into, so that the cartridge could be re-programmed with the newer software. I don't know where you'd buy the software to do the reprogramming, except to buy it on a newer cartridge, and then reverse-engineer the hardware to copy it onto an earlier-version cartridge.

So, as far as I know, whatever cartridges exist is as good as it gets, there's no more updating of the programmable cartridges.

Snap-On quit using user-replaceable/swappable cartridges because they can be re-sold. All the newer scan tools have the software carried internally so it's difficult to access. They're trying to eliminate the secondary market.

Headbanger

Reaction score
Can you put a scanner on it and see what your idle rpms actually are? Does this happen when coming to stop. Does it do it going down the road and putting the clutch in and letting it idle?
What brand of IAC?
You mentioned replacing the idle air control valve. If the vacuum booster wasn't the issue look at the throttle body gasket, and the passage to the IAC valve to ensure it's no clogged.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Schurkey is the 2500 series good enough for our trucks if we get a complete kit?
It's been good enough for me for twenty-ish years.

But once again--they're old. Mine is getting flaky, takes a long time to boot. Someday, it's going to NOT boot. And I've been dreaming of a Solus-family unit for more than five years.

Define "complete kit". You need the scanner body, the software cartridges--the primary cart, and optionally (but recommended) the "Troubleshooter" cart for the years you're interested in. You need the adapter (and OBD-II keys) for the vehicle(s) you're working on, and GM has several. OBD-I needs a cigarette-lighter power adapter. My scanner has a crapped-out rechargeable battery, and therefore a wall-wart recharger.

I've got the paperback manuals for MT2500 use with GM, Ford, Chrysler, Jeep; but I can't tell you the last time I studied them. (Probably should; I might learn something...)

Having a big assortment of OBD-I adapters, OBD-II keys, software from 80 1/2--2009, and a bigass carrying case is icing on the cake.

I have my eye on a couple on Ebay. the tech 2 is out of my price range and I'm not interested in the clones...
I've never had the opportunity to use a Tech 2, or the OTC scan tools. Never used a consumer-grade or laptop-based scan tool, either. So I'm not one to give you comparison info.

I suspect--but don't actually know--that a REAL Tech 2 will do everything the '2500 does, plus has some additional capabilities. But again, that's all suspicion and guesses.

Nilocsemliw

Reaction score
You mentioned replacing the idle air control valve. If the vacuum booster wasn't the issue look at the throttle body gasket, and the passage to the IAC valve to ensure it's no clogged.
The passage to the IAC looked good when I changed it, but I will check or replace the gasket tomorrow depending on availability of the part

1993GMCC2500SLX

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
No messing around change the fuel filter I did mine at 96k with onset of idle symptoms it was butt plugged black slip pouring out, more idle misses at 98k change again last night, purrssss real nice. $7.99 AutoZone cheapest. Statistics wise I can't believe people change them at all let alone 30k and it's rare I see it as a first case must do but it is a must do.
I changed the fuel filter on my early 94 when I got it running with the fuel pump sending unit assembly, and ignition coil,then replaced the rusted distributor.. but after all these issues when the throttle body comes off to put a better one back on it that I know is off a 350, I am changing the fuel filter again.. I believe I put a Napa one on it and from the looks of the one I took off it had never been changed..

1993GMCC2500SLX

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
There has to be more to it than that.

I had a 91 LD K2500 that I took meticulous care of for the first 150k. Life got in the way and I forgot about the fuel filter. Fuel pump went out. Replaced it with a cheap parts store pump. It died 8-9 months later. Warrantied it. That one died a few months after installation.

Went to the dealership and asked the parts manager (who was a good acquaintance of mine) what the snarf was I doing wrong?
He told me four things:
--If a vehicle comes in with a plugged or partially plugged fuel pump, they note on the invoice that the fuel pump should be replaced because within 4-8 months the vehicle was almost always back with a burned up fuel pump.
--AC Delco only.
--They learned their lesson about cross referencing AC Delco pumps into other brands of vehicles. If a Dodge came in they went to the Dodge dealer and bought the correct Mopar pump, etc.
--Change the fuel filter every 15k regardless of the stated service interval.

Take the GMT fuel filter with 15k (or more) on it and blow the gas out then blow through it Now blow through a new fuel filter. Feel the difference in resistance? That's what burns up a fuel pump. And the longer one lets the fuel filter go, the more resistance.

Top Tier gas probably extends the life of a lot of components.

I bought my 97 K1500 (currently 166k) from that parts manager. And other than changing fluids and filters Often & Frequently, a 4 hi mod, Big Three mod, front brake pads, and replacing the intake gasket, it is all original.

Full disclosure: The steering is getting loose--time for new steering parts and alignment.

My 96 G1500, 02 G1500, and 96 K1500, all have Delphi pumps in them with about 50k-75k on each pump. My problem with the Delphi is it's so quiet its hard to tell if it's running........
Does your 4 high mod eliminate the use of the dimmer switch on the column?!