305 in the 305..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jd33173

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you have to replace the fuel pump, jump straight to the Vortec fuel pump. It runs just fine with either a TBI or a Vortec intake and can support 400 hp. It's a drop-in replacement on either sending unit.
Ty, If you have a recommended part no or year/ model that would be awesome

TonyM

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you're going to go thru the trouble of swapping engines, going LS is almost a no brainer. Newer technology, better efficiency, reliability, the list goes on. Even just having OBD2 is a big bonus. I've been down the road of building tbi 383's, or cammed 350's with vortec heads blah blah and would never do it again.

The time and money you would save from trying to turn a stock 195hp tbi350 into a 3-350hp tbi 350 compared to dropping in a junkyard 5.3 thats going to get better mileage and all around run better and have pretty much 300hp stock, is reason enough for me to do it. But these are just my views and opinion from having gone through it all back in the day. And for the love of god, don't go carbed.

I'll wait here for L31express to preach torque #'s

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you're going to go thru the trouble of swapping engines, going LS is almost a no brainer. Newer technology, better efficiency, reliability, the list goes on. Even just having OBD2 is a big bonus. I've been down the road of building tbi 383's, or cammed 350's with vortec heads blah blah and would never do it again.

The time and money you would save from trying to turn a stock 195hp tbi350 into a 3-350hp tbi 350 compared to dropping in a junkyard 5.3 thats going to get better mileage and all around run better and have pretty much 300hp stock, is reason enough for me to do it. But these are just my views and opinion from having gone through it all back in the day. And for the love of god, don't go carbed.

I'll wait here for L31express to preach torque #'s
As I have said before I would not put a 5.3L in my lawnmower. I have owned several of them and they are no more efficient than an older 350. All around better I would have to agree to disagree on that point. The later roller cam SBC engines are just as good as a LS and in some ways even better.

TonyM

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As I have said before I would not put a 5.3L in my lawnmower. I have owned several of them and they are no more efficient than an older 350. All around better I would have to agree to disagree on that point. The later roller cam SBC engines are just as good as a LS and in some ways even better.

And that's fine, I know how strongly you feel about the whole subject and you're entitled to your opinion as well.

It's just hard to say the 10's of thousands of people in America alone that have done LS swaps (not counting the ground up builds that get LS powerplants) are wrong.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
And that's fine, I know how strongly you feel about the whole subject and you're entitled to your opinion as well.

It's just hard to say the 10's of thousands of people in America alone that have done LS swaps (not counting the ground up builds that get LS powerplants) are wrong.

On that same notion the Gen 1 SBC is still the most built and used engine in probably the world. There are still builders that specialize in only small block Chevy race engines. Hard to argue with that as well. Most racers still build SBC engines and the 305, 360 and 410 Sprint cars are making huge power NA from their 23* small blocks. You do not see Nascar running the banked oval using LS power. Its not exactly a small block either, but if the LS was so great, surely they would run them. Industrial power is generally not LS despite it being around since 1997. I have yet to see a natural gas powered generator running a LS but thousands are running either a 5.7L or 8.1L and usually turbocharged. Generators are setup for maximum torque at 1,800 rpm and both the 5.7L and 8.1L excel in that application with stump pulling low-speed torque. The Marine industry was also very slow to embrace the LS and most jumped straight from SBC to GenV power. Most boats are kept under 5,000 rpm as they are produced and the LS simply was not enough of an upgrade to re-engineer everything for them. There are a few exceptions, most notably Seven marine that had the LSA engined outboards but they were bought out and discontinued.

Last edited:

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know they’re different platforms but, when I drive my 12’ Tahoe (5.3 6l80e 4x4 on 33’s) I always find myself giving it more throttle input than my 97 c1500 (350 4l60e). I prefer the power band of the 350 over the 5.3. I also don’t see much difference if any as far as fuel consumption differences between the 2 trucks.

They are completely different engines and driving experiences.

TonyM

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
On that same notion the Gen 1 SBC is still the most built and used engine in probably the world. There are still builders that specialize in only small block Chevy race engines. Hard to argue with that as well. Most racers still build SBC engines and the 305, 360 and 410 Sprint cars are making huge power NA from their 23* small blocks. You do not see Nascar running the banked oval using LS power. Its not exactly a small block either, but if the LS was so great, surely they would run them. Industrial power is generally not LS despite it being around since 1997. I have yet to see a natural gas powered generator running a LS but thousands are running either a 5.7L or 8.1L and usually turbocharged. Generators are setup for maximum torque at 1,800 rpm and both the 5.7L and 8.1L excel in that application with stump pulling low-speed torque. The Marine industry was also very slow to embrace the LS and most jumped straight from SBC to GenV power. Most boats are kept under 5,000 rpm as they are produced and the LS simply was not enough of an upgrade to re-engineer everything for them. There are a few exceptions, most notably Seven marine that had the LSA engined outboards but they were bought out and discontinued.
Wow. Luckily this is a nascar, sprint car, industrial /generator /marine forum. Otherwise I wouldn't know how to process all that vital info that has absolutely nothing to do with GMT400's

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wow. Luckily this is a nascar, sprint car, industrial /generator /marine forum. Otherwise I wouldn't know how to process all that vital info that has absolutely nothing to do with GMT400's

Actually it has quite a bit to do with a GMT400 if you are concerned with torque, fuel economy and longevity vs cost. A lot of us use them for truck type stuff still and a SBC 350 is excellent in that application. A 383 or 400 is even better. Under ~4,000 rpm a naturally aspirated LS is not touching one torque wise especially the 2nd two. Many of us could care less about blasting past 6,000 rpm while towing an 8,000 lbs trailer. GM had to go to a 6spd, 8spd and now 10spd just to gain some performance from the 5.3L and 6.0L trucks and the competition still runs away from them. The 6.6L Gas has good power but they have had many examples of it fail in the past few years. Lower ends failing for no real reason.