3/4 Ton of fun - ‘95 Sierra

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Buy a car port for 3/4 ton o fun and the K, use the garage for the Hyundai. Done.
But of course I have 5 trucks and my wife is SUPER proud of me, so maybe don't listen to my advice...
Thought about a car port. I rent my current place and I’d have to do some concrete work to anchor it and bring in some gravel, which I’ve done before.

I could put tin up on the sides to block wind/rain. They are relatively affordable.

My girlfriend is on board, she’d drive it too but it’s mostly for me. The DCT is a blast. I found it to be more fun than the 6MT.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After reading @SNCTMPL's thread about the Borgeson quick ratio box and some discussion with @Caman96, I've decided to get the Borgeson box. It is ordered. While i'm in there I am going to add a power steering cooler and of course a pitman arm (AC Delco) - those are also ordered. My truck has the in-frame mounted cooler and I don't like it.

Yesterday I went and test drove a new car and I really liked it - Hyundai Elantra N with the DCT and it was a blast. I'm ready for the forum to blast me for driving one.:ban::Big Laugh: :33: I've been eying them for a while and finally had the chance to drive the 6MT and the DCT automatic. I've already got 2 of my own trucks on the property and a 1 car garage. My girlfriend also has her own Ram. So there are 3 vehicles here. Adding a fourth doesn't make sense to me. I'd hate to have the GMC sit out, but the new car shouldn't be exposed to the elements either. So I'll have to make a decision at some point. Sell the C2500 (which obviously I've got a lot of time and money wrapped up in), the K2500 (which I think is more practical as a daily and could sit outside since the body isn't the straightest), or just not buy a new car.

We also want to buy a house. Buying a car doesn't seem smart when we are planning for that. She says buy it and we will figure it out. We are both financially savvy. I think I know the answer - don't buy the car.

Now I'm just rambling. The new car would be here Tuesday if I had a 2 car garage. I hate having stuff sit outside especially when we have bad weather. We had a lot of big hail where I live in 2023. I wouldn't be buying anything until both trucks are ready for reliable daily duty.

I've seen that car on track, it seems pretty quick. If you are looking for best lap times, get the DCT. From a maintenance standpoint, they are kind of a headache. Last time I priced what a full fluid replacement would cost me it was ~$800 just in fluids.

Personal finance is personal. There's no one right answer, but I will say that as I get older, I'm glad I was somewhat responsible in my youth.

fancyTBI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've seen that car on track, it seems pretty quick. If you are looking for best lap times, get the DCT. From a maintenance standpoint, they are kind of a headache. Last time I priced what a full fluid replacement would cost me it was ~$800 just in fluids.

Personal finance is personal. There's no one right answer, but I will say that as I get older, I'm glad I was somewhat responsible in my youth.
Thanks for the info on the track capabilities. I am going to discuss ordering getting an allocation on one with a local dealer and also do some research on maintenance costs. I plan on doing as much of it as I can myself.

I hear you on being responsible. I like to think I am for the most part. I tend to get a little spendy when it comes to decent parts for these trucks, but overall I still stick to my budgets. If I can't afford it, I won't dip into my savings unless it is something that I have budgeted for. I did the 20/4/10 rule calculation for the EN and I am in the green. I would like to put down more than 20% on it. Regardless, it isn't happening until both trucks are operational and ready for some adventures.

Last edited:

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info on the track capabilities. I am going to discuss ordering getting an allocation on one with a local dealer and also do some research on maintenance costs. I plan on doing as much of it as I can myself.

I hear you on being responsible. I like to think I am for the most part. I tend to get a little spendy when it comes to decent parts for these trucks, but overall I still stick to my budgets. If I can't afford it, I won't dip into my savings unless it is something that I have budgeted for. I did the 20/4/10 rule calculation for the EN and I am in the green. I would like to put down more than 20% on it. Regardless, it isn't happening until both trucks are operational and ready for some adventures.

You got a good head on your shoulders.

I think you're a lot younger than me, so I have to throw this out ... consider contributing to a retirement plan if you aren't already. Doesn't have to be a lot at first.

fancyTBI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You got a good head on your shoulders.

I think you're a lot younger than me, so I have to throw this out ... consider contributing to a retirement plan if you aren't already. Doesn't have to be a lot at first.
Absolutely. When I was 18 I immediately opened a Roth IRA, and I contribute to my retirement plan through work as well. Whatever their match percentage is I do at least that. Whenever I get a raise I always bump it up a bit more too. Appreciate the suggestion - nice to have people looking out for each other. :cheers:

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last year I was at Hallett crewing for some friends and Jacob Deily was there with a factory-built Hyundai Veloster. Hyundai shipped it to their race works in Germany as a body-in-white and then built it from the ground up as a racer. It was turning some seriously fast lap times. Come to find out he was testing to run at the 24 Hours of Daytona.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media