3/4 Ton of fun - ‘95 Sierra

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe I'm seeing things, but almost looks like a crack starting behind the casting flaw. I don't think I would want that part on my truck, if they'll swap it out.....
I see that in this photo too, although I don’t see it on top in circle where it’s machined. Photos are tough sometimes to tell. I have one word…starts with a C and ends with an A.
You must be registered for see images attach

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yikes.
Looks like cracks from my house. And it’s in-line with the ball joint hole. If they were cast steel I MIGHT recommend taking them to your welding friend and have him burn that back in, (if the warranty thing ends up being an enormous hassle) but they are probably some kind of cast iron.
Cast iron is weldable but my research says you really gotta know what you’re doing.
Does your dad have any of that old school crack finding powder laying around? Or know a machine shop? Machining over a crack, like on top, can hide a crack.

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess it’s an aerosol dye not a powder…

CANTESCO K803W White Dye Penetrant Kit, Water Washable 16 Fl Oz (Pack of 8) https://a.co/d/c9MM5BN

Anyways, Those spindles need some black paint on them regardless. :anitoof:
Yes I should’ve painted them. I’ll get the passenger side as best as I can. Not sure what I was thinking. Thanks for the link for the dye.

My welder friend doesn’t do cast iron, we were talking about axles once and he said “no” haha.

fancyTBI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Called DJM and ask what the turnaround was on emails. The guy I spoke to said they have received, reviewed, and sent the email with images to a higher-up tech. He even called it a crack, so that bodes well. He said to expect an email on Monday with information.

Normally the customer is on the hook for shipping to them. I asked about that and he said that it depends. Because shipping this via USPS, FedEx, or UPS is not going to be cheap. So they might be lying for it I hope.

I started assembling the tie rods. My dad will be home this weekend and volunteered to help out. So I think we will tackle the tie rods and brake lines.

fancyTBI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great. So if I want a new one I will have to take the passenger side off and send it back along with the drivers side, get issued a credit, then just buy two more. I emailed more photos and pressed a bit further on it. I said I don’t feel comfortable using it.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great. So if I want a new one I will have to take the passenger side off and send it back along with the drivers side, get issued a credit, then just buy two more. I emailed more photos and pressed a bit further on it. I said I don’t feel comfortable using it.

Done purposely to make you hesitant to send back, make you rip everything apart-how bad do you want it?

fancyTBI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Done purposely to make you hesitant to send back, make you rip everything apart-how bad do you want it?
Yeah. I’d probably damage the ball joint boots getting the passenger side off. I called their office to speak about it and of course that lady is now gone for the day.

As far as his suggestion, I’d rather just get it replaced. If they don’t want to replace them but will offer me a refund, I’ll return everything and buy belltech and deal with the wheel fitment issues.