2wd brake upgrade write up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fastfreddys454ss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are these pedal identical except for the pin placement? I've been waiting to do hydro-boost on my truck because I haven't found a hydro-boost pedal yet. But if it's just pin placement, then that's a relatively easy fix.
I just did a simple pin placement. But my brake light switch needed a little modification.

fastfreddys454ss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My intent isn't to crap on you, but damn you spent a lot of money on your brakes. The GMT800/900 stuff can be bolted on for junkyard twin piston calipers and larger rotors. Drilled and slotted looks cool, but as you discovered there's progress to be made in other areas. Your $300 firm feel master appears to be an overpriced rebranded GMT800 master cylinder. On my 1500 I have the 8600# GVW front calipers, Hawk ceramic pads, El cheapo parts store rotors, and stock 14 bolt rear end shoes/drums. The cherry on top is the hydroboost with HD master cylinder, truck will lock the 33s down hard since merely adding HB. Were I to repeat the brake upgrade process on another GMT400, I'd just start with the HB and likely be done at that point. I can see the want for good looking parts on your truck though.
It would be nice to see the brake caliper dual piston upgrade. I have heard a few people talk about it. But I have never seen a write up. It would be nice if you or someone who has done this upgrade would post some pictures with parts used,what year of parts and the process. Will this upgrade bolt right into the OBS body style or what mods need to be done. I couldn’t find anybody doing this upgrade on the obs when I started this 5 years ago on 2WD. Otherwise I would have tried it. What years apply.At the time I bought the firm feel master cylinder for ssbc. I didn’t know that they were using a 1999 to 2002 master cylinder until the box arrived or I would have bought it. I would have rather spent $50 then the over priced $300. the $250 mark up was surprising. You just have make sure you buy one $5 brake line adapter to the master cylinder.. I like Ssbc, they used to be affordable. Now they are just expensive.

Last edited:

fastfreddys454ss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My intent isn't to crap on you, but damn you spent a lot of money on your brakes. The GMT800/900 stuff can be bolted on for junkyard twin piston calipers and larger rotors. Drilled and slotted looks cool, but as you discovered there's progress to be made in other areas. Your $300 firm feel master appears to be an overpriced rebranded GMT800 master cylinder. On my 1500 I have the 8600# GVW front calipers, Hawk ceramic pads, El cheapo parts store rotors, and stock 14 bolt rear end shoes/drums. The cherry on top is the hydroboost with HD master cylinder, truck will lock the 33s down hard since merely adding HB. Were I to repeat the brake upgrade process on another GMT400, I'd just start with the HB and likely be done at that point. I can see the want for good looking parts on your truck though.
Just as I thought the stock upgrade to dual piston caliper for 2WD 5 lug can’t happen. At this point you have no choice but to start spending money on good looking parts. if you don’t like or want hydroboost. There’s probably a reason why I couldn’t find it for 2WD trucks OBS body style stock dual piston upgrade and don’t remember seeing anyone who has done it with stock parts. Looks like the dual piston caliper upgrade for 4WD works for possibly 4WD only. It looks like it’s based off a 4WD Astro van. Never tried it and haven’t owned a 4wd OBS or newer Chevy truck.Looks like the hydroboost is still the best bang for your buck along with ceramic brakes. If anyone knows about a stock 2WD dual piston upgrade let me know. I could be wrong.

Last edited:

Crytone

Reaction score
The 2WD Astro buckles will work on the 2WD gmt400s. That will give 13 inch rotors and dual piston calipers with stock parts, the issue is it has to come from I believe only the 2005 model Astros and the ball joint holes need to be reamed a bit.

For the rear, a 20mm spacer for the 10 bolt or 60mm spacer for the 14 bolts and then you can put stock rear NBS 13" disc brakes (with ebrakes and dual piston calipers from the SUVs) on the rear.

The only other issue is the Astro and NBS are 6 lug.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I keep forgetting 2wd. Crytone are you sure there's any reaming required with the Astro stuff? I thought its appeal was that you didn't have to, at least on the 4wd stuff.

Bear 77

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 2WD Astro buckles will work on the 2WD gmt400s. That will give 13 inch rotors and dual piston calipers with stock parts, the issue is it has to come from I believe only the 2005 model Astros and the ball joint holes need to be reamed a bit.

For the rear, a 20mm spacer for the 10 bolt or 60mm spacer for the 14 bolts and then you can put stock rear NBS 13" disc brakes (with ebrakes and dual piston calipers from the SUVs) on the rear.

The only other issue is the Astro and NBS are 6 lug.

Other than this having 6 lug, would you take off the whole rear end of a NBS suv and use that as is or have to modify? I’m asking because I have an obs suv and a donor NBS and been wanting to put disc brakes on but couldn’t find any write up on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If the hubs are the same as a GMT800, then there is a Dodge pickup that uses hubs that bolt up to it. And its a 5-lug. Its 5x5.5, but much easier to redrill than a 6-lug hub.

Crytone

Reaction score
Other than this having 6 lug, would you take off the whole rear end of a NBS suv and use that as is or have to modify? I’m asking because I have an obs suv and a donor NBS and been wanting to put disc brakes on but couldn’t find any write up on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2WD? Then the axle will be wider (WMS to WMS) than the GMT400 has. The spring perches and shock mounts are also in the wrong place. If you can live with modifying it, then it will work.

1989GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I got the air splitter from Kdesignswings.com for $390 and painted it black. It bolts right in. You just have to drill into the grille for the rods. He also makes a rear wing for $400. You could also make your own with a lot of trail and error, some 3/16 aluminum, a cut off wheel, 2 $10 rods and a couple L brackets. I bought the air splitter off kdesigns but I couldn’t afford the rear so I made my own. I made it out of cardboard first

You must be registered for see images attach

Cool. I never saw one on a GMT400 before. Does it help in any way? I mean these trucks are not aerodynamic by a long shot. Looks great though
Thanks