NBS/Astro knuckle brake upgrade.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99GMT425

Reaction score
I have been wanting to do this swap for years and finally the local self serve yard got a 6 lug awd astro van in. When gm upgraded the brakes on the astro van they made a knuckle with gmt800+ style brakes that bolts in place of a gmt400 style knuckle(what the astro previously used). So for $54 and an hours work I was ready to upgrade my suburban.

The old setup:
You must be registered for see images attach

The new setup:

Side by side:

Everything bolts right in with a few exeptions.
The astro brake hose is 1/4if and the suburban is 3/16if. I just used conversion fittings for now I think I will probably replace the front lines with 1/4 when the time comes.

The calipers rub the original wheels slightly. Little grinding is all it needed.

The new hubs don't use inner seals and the dust sheilds rub the knuckle so i just eliminated the sheilds.

The last thing, which I didn't expect, was the track width grew by about 7/8" an inch on each side. After thinking about it a little' I think this is because the astro originally used a 5 lug 15" wheel with the 2wd/rwd truck offset on the awd vans. When the Astro went to 6 lug they went to the regular 16" 4wd truck offest wheels. This causes the axles on the suburban to stretch the inner joints out a bit more with the increase in track width. It is working fine but I will propably measure some axles next time I am out at the yard.

I also bolted up the 13" gmt900 style caliper and rotor. It looks to fit just fine, just need to find some cheap 17" wheels.

For the 2wd guys, if you are willing to go to 6 lug for the sake of decent brakes you might want to take a look at the 2wd 6 lug astro. Maybe swap in a 4wd rear axle since the track width will probably also increase on 2wd astro knuckle swap.

99GMT425

Reaction score
This is cool, I'd like to hear more on this if anyone else has done it.

Didn't seem to be much interest here. I did upgrade to the 2008 tahoe calipers and rotors. I also had to use 08 tahoe front CV shafts. Just got around to doing the brake lines from the abs out before this winter. Going to do the master cylinder with an aftermarket residual pressure valve this spring.
Really been happy with the swap.

Joe Dirte

I'm an idiot!
Reaction score
I know it's an older thread and it may be a dumb question... For the 2wd set up I won't need to worry bout the hub stick out like the c2500LD rotor swap and it will widen my track a bit, correct? I'd rather not run spacers just as personal preference. Also will my 15 inch rallies on my 4x4 clear the caliper or should i go to yard n try it out?

Last edited:

dfarr67

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The new hubs don't use inner seals and the dust sheilds rub the knuckle so i just eliminated the sheilds.

I'm at this point right now I'm thinking it would be better to use the nbs cv's, my concern is water entering the hub area- mine is a 4x4 application. I was reading somewhere the nbs hubs aren't lasting as long as the obs hubs- no seal.

99GMT425

Reaction score

I'm at this point right now I'm thinking it would be better to use the nbs cv's, my concern is water entering the hub area- mine is a 4x4 application. I was reading somewhere the nbs hubs aren't lasting as long as the obs hubs- no seal.
I did end up using 07-14 front CV axles to make up for the track width. The junk yard hubs have been on there now for 6 years without issue and I do plow snow with this truck. Staying around stock offset is the key to hubs lasting imo.