2020 transit transmission shot

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
So, i drive a 2020 ford transit connect for work everyday and its been acting like its hunting for the right gear for a while. Finally able to get it into the shop for its service and had them check the trans out. Multiple codes for trans (i didn't ask what they were) and they took it for a drive, said it needs a new transaxle already. Admittedly, its got almost 91k on it.

Any of you have any experience with these vehicles? We've also got a 2018 with nearly 200k on it still going ok for a ford.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I own all GM, was a Ford mechanic for a while, the friends and family always thought it was big laugh. But was always busy and Ford paid for my for my second son's delivery. :gr_grin:

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
I own all GM, was a Ford mechanic for a while, the friends and family always thought it was big laugh. But was always busy and Ford paid for my for my second son's delivery. :gr_grin:
I've owned a ford before and there's been several in my family. This one is the newest I've had any dealings with and have been driving it since it had ~200 miles on it new. Seems like for a fleet type vehicle, it should be expected to last at least 150k with just regular maintenance. At close to $6,000 for a transaxle, i don't think that qualifies as maintenance.

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
To circle back to the POS, we took it to the dealer and they changed spark plugs, boots on the end of the coil packs, and replaced a cracked air filter housing. Flashed the computer on it and cleared up its transmission issues. New one on me to have a misfire, no illuminated CEL, and presenting as a trans slipping issue.

Still not sure how the air filter housing got cracked inside the engine bay when there hasn't been any front end damage to the van. (It had about 200 miles on the clock when i stared driving it.)

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
To circle back to the POS, we took it to the dealer and they changed spark plugs, boots on the end of the coil packs, and replaced a cracked air filter housing. Flashed the computer on it and cleared up its transmission issues. New one on me to have a misfire, no illuminated CEL, and presenting as a trans slipping issue.

Still not sure how the air filter housing got cracked inside the engine bay when there hasn't been any front end damage to the van. (It had about 200 miles on the clock when i stared driving it.)
It's a Ferd, it's not supposed to make sense to us GM folks....

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Dunno what it is about Fords and their CNP ignition setup, but it sucks. All the way back to our 2016 F450 6.2 which is now gone, 2018-2019 6.8's, and our 2020-up 7.3's, they all suffer from random coil pack failures. The harness connector to them seems to also be a sore spot. Replace, replace, replace.. and only with OEM. The aftermarket stuff lasts an even shorter time.

Richard

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
Dunno what it is about Fords and their CNP ignition setup, but it sucks. All the way back to our 2016 F450 6.2 which is now gone, 2018-2019 6.8's, and our 2020-up 7.3's, they all suffer from random coil pack failures. The harness connector to them seems to also be a sore spot. Replace, replace, replace.. and only with OEM. The aftermarket stuff lasts an even shorter time.

Richard
I tossed the idea of replacing it with a full size express van when the time comes since it serves as an office on wheels some days. Would certainly be nice to be able to set up a microscope in the back without kneeling or hitting my head on the roof to use it. Not to mention when i have to work on the laptop away from the office