2000 K2500 8.1 Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dropped88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't sweat it over the ac bracket, it was almost impossible to find the top mount ac bracket and when I did I wouldn't pay what they wanted.

So since that style compressor is junk anyways, I found a guy that builds ac brackets for the 8.1 and you can use a R4 or a sanden style compressor.

Here's my dually with the r4 once I get the 8.1 in my other truck already been Swapped to a sanden style so I'll get the bracket for it

Attachments

• 20230608_223948.jpg
    20230608_223948.jpg
    263 KB · Views: 29

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Shortly after that truck followed me home, I watched this exact video and got a real
bad case of 8.1L fever. I thought that I had come to my senses (in that I already have
more than I can justify needing in the driveway) ...but now thanks to you & Mr. Holdener
I might start once again looking for an especially crispy/rusty complete 8.1L donor truck?

So here's my dilemma. If I stick with my normal approach, I will waste no money yet run
the risk of leaving no legacy in a hobby I've enjoyed all of my adult life?

Or do I think about piecing together a Clark Kent/super sleeper version of one of my all-time favorite
vehicles? -- Witness the Farmtruck:

You must be registered for see images attach

(Great soundtrack. Go HERE at start at ~2:13 to get right down to business.)

This has been an interesting & enjoyable bench-racing session this evening.
And I know that old guys are supposed to check out quietly & with dignity.

But it sure would be fun to take an old chore truck and surprise a few folks
at the dragstrip. Heck, I just got made a grandfather a second time...so if
I ended up being the cool granddad that made the most noise of all, then
I'd win. Right?
:)

I wouldn't sweat it over the ac bracket, it was almost impossible to find the top mount ac bracket and when I did I wouldn't pay what they wanted.

So since that style compressor is junk anyways, I found a guy that builds ac brackets for the 8.1 and you can use a R4 or a sanden style compressor.

Here's my dually with the r4 once I get the 8.1 in my other truck already been Swapped to a sanden style so I'll get the bracket for it

The Vortec compressor is much better than the R4. Itbis smoother, quieter, draws less power and holds up better than a R4. Both the R4 and HT6 are known for case leaks. Sanden builds a replacement for the HT6 and so does Four Seasons. I have run both as well as a Valeo HT6 replacement. The Valeo performed flawlessly for 10 years. The Sanden did not have great idle cooling, thus I replaced it with the Four Seasons 10 cylinder upgrade.

Dropped88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Vortec compressor is much better than the R4. Itbis smoother, quieter, draws less power and holds up better than a R4. Both the R4 and HT6 are known for case leaks. Sanden builds a replacement for the HT6 and so does Four Seasons. I have run both as well as a Valeo HT6 replacement. The Valeo performed flawlessly for 10 years. The Sanden did not have great idle cooling, thus I replaced it with the Four Seasons 10 cylinder upgrade.
Agreed,

The r4 is a resource hog really spikes my iac but the 8.1 doesn't notice like the old 454 did but that system was new

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got to looking on marketplace n found an 02 Avalanche close to me for $2k. I can get the accessories off the medium duty motor, now just need to find time and money would prolly help. It’s not so thing I’m gonna do, but been watching LT Tollman on YouTube, he took a stock 8.1 n turbo’d it, got 1100lb/ft of torque….

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got to looking on marketplace n found an 02 Avalanche close to me for $2k. I can get the accessories off the medium duty motor, now just need to find time and money would prolly help. It’s not so thing I’m gonna do, but been watching LT Tollman on YouTube, he took a stock 8.1 n turbo’d it, got 1100lb/ft of torque….

Hmmm...I wonder what Nick of @NickTransmissions fame would recommend to
handle all that twisting goodness? My guess is that he could improve the
4L80-E to a certain level...and then we would rely on the rear tires to act as the torque circuit breakers
for the drivetrain?

You know, I've always wanted a vehicle that would break the tires loose
on dry pavement at highway speeds. This turbo 8.1 might just be the ticket to do so...

:0)

Last edited:

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am planning on doing this exact swap in my 2000 C3500. It has a tired 5.7 with 217K miles. I bought a donor 2002 C3500HD with the 8.1 and 86k miles. I haven't started the project yet but am looking forward to it.

Welcome to the GMT400 forum!

Your project sounds fantastic, doable, and affordable. (Swaps like this can involve so
many detail 'showstopper' bits, and having a complete donor vehicle really helps to
minimize the number of treasure yard hunts, internet searches, etc.)

Consider starting a build thread, take lots of photos, and start posting. As an owner
of a '99 C2500, I for one am seriously interested in seeing a 8.1 swap/upgrade into a GMT400.

Always nice to have another GMT400 enthusiast join the forum.

Cheers --

Last edited:

00CrewCab

Reaction score
I am planning on doing this exact swap in my 2000 C3500. It has a tired 5.7 with 217K miles. I bought a donor 2002 C3500HD with the 8.1 and 86k miles. I haven't started the project yet but am looking forward to it.
You wanna sell it? lol Just kidding, but I found a 01 C3500HD near me on FB marketplace, complete truck for $1500 (with a good engine/drivetrain too), problem is the language barrier, and the fact FB blurs out phone numbers and the guy refuses to respond on marketplace/messenger. Oh well though the hunt continues.

00CrewCab

Reaction score
I’ve been following his build on that truck, a 8.1 AWD SCSB is something I see in the future also, probably not as crazy as he’s gone with his engine, but a fun swap I thought of when I had mine (damn trees).

00CrewCab

Reaction score
Shortly after that truck followed me home, I watched this exact video and got a real
bad case of 8.1L fever. I thought that I had come to my senses (in that I already have
more than I can justify needing in the driveway) ...but now thanks to you & Mr. Holdener
I might start once again looking for an especially crispy/rusty yet complete 8.1L donor truck?

So here's my dilemma. If I stick with my normal approach, I will waste no money yet run
the risk of leaving behind no performance legacy in a hobby I've enjoyed all of my adult life?

Or do I think about piecing together a '99 RCLB Clark Kent/super sleeper version of one of my all-time favorite
vehicles? -- Witness the Farmtruck:

You must be registered for see images attach

(Great soundtrack. Go HERE and start at ~2:13 to get right down to business.)

This has been an interesting & enjoyable bench-racing session this evening.
And I know that old guys are supposed to check out quietly & with dignity.

But it sure would be fun to take an old chore truck and surprise a few folks
at the dragstrip. Heck, I just got made a grandfather a second time...my
twin daughters each had a baby boy. So, if I ended up being the cool
granddad that made the most noise of them all, then this would leave
a lasting impression on them? Which, in my mind, would be a huge win
in the legacy department?

Tempting... :0)
I remember when I first saw Farm Truck in person, I had no idea what it was at the time, but watched it smoke a Mustang(?) on a test and tune day. I was just stopped dead in my tracks wondering WTH did he do to that old truck. Either way the 8.1 is definitely happing now that I have the donor engine, I’m gonna tear it down just to make sure it’s good, I know how hard accidents can effect and engine, but it still ran when he pulled it off the trailer. At this point I’m going all in on doing the swap, no expense spared on oem parts, then I’ll worry about modifications and custom engine work. I just really really want it to look as oem as possible.