2000 GMC K3500...This may take me awhile to finish!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2KGMC

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I figured I would re post my truck here with pics in case anyone has any ideas or information to share. I was going to give a little back story on the truck up to this point but it would be a rather long read and figured it would just bore people. But here she is :).

Keep in mind I say this will take me awhile and this is because being in the military and living in an apartment limits my time and ability to work on it.

You must be registered for see images attach

These were 2 years ago when I first bought her.

These are now..I know it doesn't look like much of a change but believe me she has about $3000 so far in internal repairs and replacement parts for the engine.

Also I hope no minds but I'm probably gonna be thieving ideas from you all on here starting with some 88GMCTruck ideas I liked

Ok so I decided to give a little back story that lead up to me buying this truck.
I love trucks plain and simple and I don't love just any truck I love my GMC's (though I have owned one bowtie). My love of trucks started when I was able to buy my first 78 Chevy C1500 RCLB of the bowtie flavor then sold that after a year and bought my first GMC from a buddy of mine. It was an 86 GMC C1500 RCSB with a 350 th400 combo and rebuilt that from the ground up and in 2005 Norfolk had a surprise ice storm and at 5 in the morning I got hit by a car doing 55mph that bounced off my front drivers side. Well all that happened to me was a tire, rim and hub assembly and fender but the car yeah its front end was on the ground :). This is when I fell in love with GMC imo they are very friggin durable and reliable when taken care of. So then I sold this one a couple years later and bought my step fathers 84 GMC RCLB with 78k miles on it and yes rebuilt that one from the ground up starting with replacing the 20yr old 305 with a crate 350. Well after some personal marriage issues I was forced to give up everything and start over. And a couple years ago I finally was able to buy a second vehicle and this would be a truck. I found this one on craigslist and after talking the PO down to $3500 and another $3000 to get it so I could drive it here it is.

John

Last edited:

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
Looks just like 88GMCTrucks' rig except a diesel and an automatic. Looks solid man.

You bought a replacement 6.5 engine? Where from, last time I checked they ran a little more than $3000 for the turn keys.

2KGMC

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks just like 88GMCTrucks' rig except a diesel and an automatic. Looks solid man.

You bought a replacement 6.5 engine? Where from, last time I checked they ran a little more than $3000 for the turn keys.

Thanks man

Sorry I didn't mean a replacement engine I was referring to parts. I was lucky and when I had the truck gone through at the shop the motor was and is still in good shape. Which is a surprise considering the PO had drove it with only one nut holding the IP on for I don't know how long. Needless to say the IP was so bad the motor when running would jerk so bad I thought it was gonna rip itself away from the motor mounts. And the vacuume pump was more of a blower so that go replaced along with a lot of other things.

Yeah 88GMCTruck's black fox thread is what motivated me to keep mine and see it for the potential it has and not so much the PITA it is right now.

Last edited:

2KGMC

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awwwwww thanks. I wish mine was a 2000 instead of a 98 just because :lol: Look forward to the progress.

Funny man Dave...needless to say the bumper will get lights and later if I can manage to find one I'll put a smooth front bumper on in black....awwww hell im pretty much gonna steal just about every idea you have used on yours sir...with the exception of a few things, I mean we can't have identical trucks now can we lol.

At some point I'm going to do a turbo back diamond eye exhaust and upgraded crossover pipe. My only concern with this is will I still pass inspection, I've tried to get info on this and considering this thing has a cat on it supposedly I'm afraid I will be limited to a cat back set up. Also I'm getting rid of the airbox and putting a better airflow setup on it similar to something I found on XDP. New lights inside and out (minus the headlights), grill, do something with rims (probably just paint these black and switch out the caps), transmission rebuild cause right now I have to drive like I'm towing 40k pounds cause if I get on it the tranny goes into limp mode and won't shift outta 2nd. And other thoughts I have and plans but all in due time.

Last edited:

2KGMC

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would the smooth bumper be a bad idea? I'm thinking smooth meaning no vent openings.

Well, we COULD have identical trucks. Although good luck finding these Weld wheels.

Also, be careful putting foglights in your bumper, they are pretty vital in the cooling of a 6.5L truck if you are towing/hauling anything.

I honestly didn't even consider ventilation cause I didn't see any way for airflow to pass through those but I'll pay closer attention to these things in the future... thank you both for preventing me from killing my truck.

And Dave given your ability to find things in better condition than I will us having identical trucks wouldn't happen anyway :)

2KGMC

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah soooo disregard my previous post cause well I'm an idiot and after looking I can see how the bumper would play a apart. I didn't pay close enough attention the first time I was looking at those vent holes.:nono:

Dr.Zoom

Hi Tech Redneck
Reaction score
I wasn't sure if you meant no rubber trim strips or what exactly.