2000 Crew Cab Dually “Waylon”

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JSlezak83

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’ve also got a brand new take off LS6 intake sitting above my garage. I was originally going to use it on my LQ4 S10, but that’s changed directions at least a half dozen times.

It might just be time to do that ‘411 swap and tune for the bigger injectors. I was really hoping to sink some money into the S10 this year, but it looks like ‘ol Waylon is going to be chewing up a big portion of that.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Whatever I used wasn't metal core where the intake meets the head. I couldn't find any. The plenum gaskets were metal. And I too reinstalled a lightly weeping water pump when I did the cam, I was out of ****** money! Lasted another 2 years before it puked on the street in front of my house. Better there than in the driveway or our in the middle of BFE. Happened 2 days before I hooked up the trailer and hauled 1300 miles to MI.

JSlezak83

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So rather than dealing with real issues like fuel injectors, leaking manifold gaskets or the self flushing real axle, I decided today I would tackle the clogged evaporator.

I’ve been hearing leaves in the squirrel cage, but wasn’t quite prepared for what I was in store for. The entire evaporator housing was full of leaves.

I was greeted with this when removing the blower motor.
You must be registered for see images attach

The leaves were packed as high as the blower. For anyone who’s been in there, you know how much that is. You can also see the 20 years of “mud” buildup on the evaporator core.

After 2hrs of cleaner, brushing and rinsing, I ended up with this.

It’s not 100%, but my hands were sufficiently sliced up from working in there, and my wrists and back had had enough. All said and done, the airflow is much improved. The AC was always cold, but the airflow sucked. I think I’m ready for the summer now. Plus, I don’t have to listen to the leaves in the squirrel cage.

If I happen to find some foaming cleaner, I’d be willing to try to get the rest cleaned.

Up next is the muffler and 4” tailpipe, injectors, and the manifold gaskets. With any luck the distributor gear will be ok, but I’m figuring this will be a big expenditure. I still need to get the hub seal patched up and new shoes in the back. Stay tuned.

Last edited:

phatphuck

plus sized grandpa
Reaction score
Yeah with the new 5.0 injectors and other "while you're in there" I'm about $800 or so into the lower intake manifold gasket job and I haven't even opened her up yet.

I wanted to powder coat the plenum and VCs but not sure I want to eat the extra $250 on this job for those.

So brace yourself for the cost

Last edited:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah with the new 5.0 injectors and other "while you're in there" I'm about $800 or so into the lower intake manifold gasket job and I haven't even opened her up yet.

I wanted to power the plenum and VCs but not sure I want to eat the extra $250 on this job for those.

So brace yourself for the cost

It's your money, doesn't hurt me none.

JSlezak83

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Gaskets and FPR arrived. Victor Reinz lowers are plastic, but have the metal supports for the bolts, in case anyone cares.

I’ve got the EGR tube soaking in weasel piss. I hope the last guy in there used anti seize when it was put back together, but it looks pretty crusty. I’m going to hold off on a cap and rotor until I pull the distributor. No sense in buying, if the gear is shot and needs a new distributor. I should probably get a belt too for when the AC compressor gets bolted back down.

Anything else, other than the obvious injectors, I should be looking to replace while I’m there?