20 cars GM made that made “no sense”

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Don't think anyone has ever said the 97 silverado or 98 tahoe are the worst ever made.

I'm definitely a little biased, but I think '96-'97 were the best years for these trucks. All the benefits of OBD2 and the Vortec engines, nicer interiors (IMO), and no PassLock anti-theft which was introduced in '98.

Jared Jackson

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
so 4 gmt400's in that list and 3 caprice's..... look the 90's was not a high point for gm as a whole and the astro was actually not that bad.
some clown wrote that!!! almost or just as bad as this guy Doug DeMuro
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsqjHFMB_JYTaEnf_vmTNqg

I would pay a 100 bucks to just watch someone punch this guy in the face over and over for 5 minutes... The price and time are both negotiable...

jsfrmsj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
lol "1999 Impala SS", too bad that model Impala was only available from 1994-1996. This kid clearly doesn't have any facts or research to back up his claims.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
WTF, this articles writer is an idiot, who known nothing about a GMT 400, much less an Impala SS, Carprice, Astro van (4.3L, grate V6) ECT. Only a few cars were junk. Funny, my 1997 Silverado, 5.7L will out perform a 5.3L all day long, and thats with almost 240,000 miles. I have never been into the engine any farther than the intake. It still has it original trans, never been in there ether. I would say the only mistake GM made with these trucks, was making them to good. Who needs a new truck with a GMT 400 than is in grate shape, and runs grate too.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Lets see a NBS hit 1 million + miles. A mistake with the GMT 400, my ass.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Tavi

Vehicle enthusiasts
Reaction score
I have read a few hotcars.com articles and the quality (there lack of) is pretty ridiculous. The knowledge (again, there lack of) reminds me of California representatives talking about guns. The article was something to the tune of ten trucks that can move mountains, and ten that can’t. It was comparing horsepower ratings of today vs 60 years ago, and implying a truck that looked old, clearly couldn’t move anything.

Just bad journalism.

Edit: it was also comparing base models to minis and one tons.

Last edited:

Tavi

Vehicle enthusiasts
Reaction score
Okay, I was bored. I actually decided to read this article. There are about 3 good points, EV1 is ugly, Sprint is ugly and I forgot the third. Must not have been important.

Again to elaborate on the bad journalism. If you are going to state “issues”. At least state the most prominent issues. Anyone who frequents this community can attest to the many inherent issues that the GMT400 series has. But the issues are actually named. And to say it was to many to overcome and GM regrets it is just utter nonsense.

GreenZ98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm definitely a little biased, but I think '96-'97 were the best years for these trucks. All the benefits of OBD2 and the Vortec engines, nicer interiors (IMO), and no PassLock anti-theft which was introduced in '98.
they could have put that damn passlock as their only reason the 98 was no good and I may have been somewhat inclined to agree with them ha. Passlock is the devil

2 Sweet

Oozing Machismo
Reaction score
What a trash "article" if you can even call it that. Total nonsense. This "journalist" clearly knows nothing about cars, nor writing. 100% garbage.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
"However, with their 1992 Chevy C1500 Pickup, they actually made a complete lemon with this one, even with its popularity."
Um... What?!

"The 1997 Chevy Silverado was a rare mistake within this pickup’s history and one that the company wishes they could take back. The main problem with the 1997 Silverado was that it simply had far too many issues with its overall structure, which would lead to massive problems."
Again... What?! How is the 97 any different from a 96, or a 98? IMO, the 96-98 were the best years, because of the Vortec, but I do have a soft spot for the 94's.

"However, when it came to the 1992 Chevy Suburban, it was horribly built and is easily the worst one ever from the series."
Then why was this generation one of best that GM ever built? And how is it any different to the later years?!

This guy who ever wrote this is a complete tool, though he did get a few ugly cars right.