1999 GMC Suburban K2500 DD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
Been busy with Summer baseball for the youngest. I'm on the board for our local little league organization and a coach...yippy. Yard work and life just seem to keep me busy.

Changed the oil in the 'burb today. Now at 110k miles, 22k miles of ownership. Did my typical inspection underneath while I had it on the lift. Turns out I must have a pinhole leak in the behemoth gas tank. Its "wet" underneath but not dripping...great, new fuel tank time. Ordered up a Spectra Premium tank and a new Delphi module. Should hopefully have it all by next weekend to do the swap, and of course the tank is full, looks like I'll be driving it with a heavy foot all week.

Went up north of Omaha to spend some time with family last weekend, made 13.624mpg on the way home at 73mph...best tank yet.

Still trying to find a RCLB pickup to mess with and use for general duty...I've also been looking at 2014+ Tundra's, but that would mean getting rid of the 'burb, and I'm not prepared for that yet. Hoping to find the right RCLB GMT400 or squarebody instead.

Pics of the brake controller mounted for @phatphuck...see I did't forget!

You must be registered for see images attach

phatphuck

plus sized grandpa
Reaction score
Ver ver clean OD! Nice job.

Jealous of that almost 14 MPG!

Even after my recent top end and fuel component rebuild I'm still at 9-10!

I need a tune so bad but we're getting out of my wheelhouse there so looking for someone down here who can handle it.

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score

I need a tune so bad but we're getting out of my wheelhouse there so looking for someone down here who can handle it.

Thanks man!

The Blackbear tune is working well for me. Back and forth to work is about 11.2-11.5mpg on summer blend gas.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score

Damn, my dually gets 10 and change empty.

phatphuck

plus sized grandpa
Reaction score
My ignition is off right now but my ecu does it's damnedest to compensate but I know it's still off. Just needs a good efficient tune.

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
Fuel tank and module have been swapped out. Used a Spectra GM43C tank, and a new Delphi module. Fuel pump was the factory original, so I'm glad I did that while the tank was out. It was a job, and definitely helped to have a second set of hands.

Here is a pic from the Turtle Wax ceramic coat job from last weekend, initial thoughts, the shine is better, brings out the metallic more...jury is out on the longevity.

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
Not much to report on the 'burb. Made a trip back to Western NE for some vacation time, 77mph was the sweet spot for the 'burb on I80. Returned 12.9mpg doing so, I'll take that every day of the week!

In other news, I bought another Tacoma. Wife is still loving hers, and I'm starting to enjoy the 1st gen even more. Coworker showed up in my office on a Friday to give me grief, informed me he had just purchased a new to him pickup. I asked what he was going to do with the Taco which prompted him to offer to sell it to me. The price he shot me caught me off guard and I tried to play it cool. Told him I would pick it up the next day and go over it on the lift. Made a list of things it needed (frame is solid), and bought it for less than he originally shot me. Nice little driver, 2001 Prerunner with the 3.4L V6, has 160k on the clock. I could probably triple my money tomorrow, but I'll drive it through winter and go from there. Needed some minor things and I went through all the fluids and tune up stuff, still had the factory plugs at 160k...haha. I'll throw a timing belt and water pump at it also, if the plugs haven't ever been touched, I'm sure none of that has either.

This is after some extreme cleanup and new set of wheels/tires. It's rougher than the pics show, but will suit DD needs for now.

P.S. The 'burb isn't going anywhere, just getting a break from DD duties for a while.

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
Too bad it's a prerunner! But that color combo and the wheels is choice!

Thanks! 4WD would have been better, but for my purposes, 2wd with an E-locker will be just fine. I'm still on the fence, but might go full "Back to the Future" theme with tube bumpers and a rollbar in the back.