1998 Sierra with 383 Stroker...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wheeler

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well all didn't go well....

I got er all together, triple checked everything, put fluids in, set parameters... tried to fire her up. Cranked great but no fire. I verified wiring, found a ground to body which was supposed to go to battery on the MSD 6EFi. I fixed that, then verified the ignition is sending spark to the coil wire as per MSDs test procedure & there is spark. SO the dizzy isn't working properly? Is it possible I have it installed 180 out? I as well noticed the handheld display for the Sniper reboots on cranking. I read that shouldn't happen. It's getting fed right through the yellow ignition wire under steering column..

Today, I'll reverify that the motor is on TDC compression stroke, the dizzy is installed correctly & see what's up.

I"m open to any suggestions!!!!!! So close yet so far!!!

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I has problems getting mine started at first too, went 180* back and forth but still no fire. Turns out we had the valve lash set too tight, wasn't getting enough compression.

Gramps

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
We ran into a similar situation on a buddy’s duster we slipped a 5.7 hemi into. Your sniper needs to draw power from constant keyed power, some of those sources cut out when in the “start” position (ie like the radio) so the starter gets all available power. The fact that it’s rebooting when you crank it over tells me you need to change the wire it’s on.

Wheeler

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well success! I had to call the Holley Tech line. (hats off to them!). All I had to do was wire it up for timing control (which I had ready in the loom). Once I swapped 2 wires, BOOM fired right up!!!!!!!!!! Sounds bad ***!!!!! I ran it for 10mis at 2k rpm as per the engine builder. Then I let it cool down & I'll have to do the same again. Once I get things all tidied up Ill get some videos uploaded to YouTube & post. I take off for work tomorrow. Gone for a week, so It will be a little bit before that happens. I'll keep ya'll posted!

Wheeler

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Small update....

My good mechanic friend who helped me do the swap finished off some wiring, found a good switched 12v wire to tap into while cranking, tidied up the engine bay some more, & took er out for a drive to see how it was going to work... He shot me a text saying the tranny was wayyy too agrresive shifting and asked where I had the EZ-TCU. He got it, set it up & now the truck shifts way better. He got stuck on the side of the road for a bit as the throttle cable popped out of the little set screw on the throttle arm. I need to get a longer cable. He also said he at first thought there was a vacuum leak as there was a whistle... I had read on the Holley forums, the IAC will cause that noise & the fix is a Holley Carb gasket 1/4" thick, 1-5/8" 4 hole gasket... So that's on my list of things to pick up. I'm hoping to be able to drive it & break er in next week. But all is coming along well even though I'm not home to work on it...

Wheeler

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Picked up the truck, had to adjust the tranny settings, got the exhaust stretched as it was a hard fit up to the headers. Clay bar & Meguairs Liquid wax on er. Now to break er in!!

upper_tanker

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm just curious what made you not go with a roller motor? Not trying to knock you, just wondering. Your truck is beautiful and I can definitely appreciate the work that you've put into it.

Wheeler

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cost was one thing I was trying to keep in mind. I previously paid for a GM HT383E. They were back ordered at the time. So I found a builder who could make a better motor all around for cheaper. I wanted more tq for towing to be honest. And that I know have, but won't be able to pass a gas station!. Took er out today for first real drive. Put 100miles on & burnt 1/2 tank.. All good though!

Wheeler

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well little update.....

I've put only about 600miles on the new set up... I've got a small oil leak. I've tried engine oil dye to find it, but no luck yet. The engine builder is a 180miles or so away... We've talked & it's going to a shop locally & he will foot bill to fix it. I believe it's the pan gasket. It is right at where the tranny & motor mate of all things.... 1 Piece rear main though..... It's a small drip nothing major...

So I go out & buy a new 24' Coachman Travel Trailer that weighs 4677lbs dry & roughly 6,000lbs loaded with my atv in the box... Got 6mpg towing last week end... When we were leaving for home super early Monday morning the tranny blew... towing at 60mph & BOOM goes into what feels like Neutral... $1100 tow bill to get camper to storage yard & truck to the tranny shop...

They fix tranny. They first said it was my fault as there are marks on the pump & we jammed it when we installed it... NO we didn't.. my licence mechanic buddy who also worked as a rebuilder had no issues installing it.. Then he said after he fixed it that the line pressure was too high because it shifts too hard.. he was going to charge me but then changes his mind.. ya.. that's because he KNEW it wasn't my fault....

I will drop the setting in the EZ-TCU Firmness setting, then I'll install a pressure gauge to monitor the line pressure..

All in all, I"m very pleased with this set up, even with the crappy MPG towing.. The Holley Sniper is awesome. Do I regret anything or how much this has cost me? No... Not yet anyway... One day I will end up with a Diesel but not for a while...