1998 Sierra with 383 Stroker...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wheeler

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys. Just joined & wanted to let you know about my project....

I own a beauty 98 GMC Sierra. I wanted more HP/TQ. I did my research & found a builder to make me a 383 stroker with 9.7.1 compression with Vortec heads, & Edlebrock Permormer RPM intake. I opted for the Holley Sniper EFI, Holley HyperSpark Dizzy, Fast EZ-TCU, JBA SS Shorty Headers, & already had a custom 2.25" exhaust with no cats & MagnaFlow muffler 2 in 2 out... I had my 4L60E rebuilt with corvette servos, wide band beast shell z pack, ect.. IF anyone has and tips, tricks or advice is greatly welcomed!
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
WOW! Now thats an intro! Welcome!

I see your in Canada, I'm jealous of how clean and rust free that truck is with factory paint and even more impressed that its further north than me (Wisconsin)

Wheeler

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ya with the cam I installed, compression ratio, Black Bear Performance said they couldn't tune the computer. So my engine builder said A LOT of his clients had great success with the Sniper. I researched it, & went for it. I as well like to have my gear different than others... I still have to pick up a TCI remote TPS, Get the tranny back in, finish off a couple wires & odds & ends. Builder claims the motor should put out well over 400hp & 450tq. Fingers are crossed all is good.

kwslvdo96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Like what your doing here, a lot of guys are doing LS swaps but the sad part about the LS motors is they don't make any low rpm power like these 5.7 vortecs, do you have any dyno numbers on your build? I would be curious where the peak torque is at.

Wheeler

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like what your doing here, a lot of guys are doing LS swaps but the sad part about the LS motors is they don't make any low rpm power like these 5.7 vortecs, do you have any dyno numbers on your build? I would be curious where the peak torque is at.

It’s installed but not fully complete yet. I’ll be back at er this Wed to finish off the wiring & install the tranny. Builder claims 400+hp 450+tq. A couple builders tried to talk me into a LS swap, but I had NO interest. I wanted a 383 so thats what I did. I found a builder who totally agreed with me and would build what l wanted.

As far as the 2.25” exhaust goes, I was told that will work nicely with this set up. I already had it in the truck so we will see how it performs.

kwslvdo96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It’s installed but not fully complete yet. I’ll be back at er this Wed to finish off the wiring & install the tranny. Builder claims 400+hp 450+tq. A couple builders tried to talk me into a LS swap, but I had NO interest. I wanted a 383 so thats what I did. I found a builder who totally agreed with me and would build what l wanted.

As far as the 2.25” exhaust goes, I was told that will work nicely with this set up. I already had it in the truck so we will see how it performs.
Keep us posted once you get it done, my truck also has a really nice rust free body and what you did is exactly what I plan to do with mine once the motor gets tired. Again great build!

Wheeler

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So as of today, my buddy & I managed to get all the driveline back installed, wiring all finished up, custom bracket made for the throttle, cruise & remote tps. I went thru the wizard on the Sniper EFI & EZ-TCU & set those parameters up. I was hoping to fire it up today but the t-stat housing is too large for the new rad hose. I bought an aftermarket swivel type for a sbc but its too large..

Fingers crossed all goes well tomorrow!

Wheeler

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I picked up a 1.5 x 1.25 swage & 1.5 rad hose. So that issue is fixed. I won't have time to make it over to my buddies shop today to work on it. However tomorrow I'll be back at it for sure!