1998 K1500 Power Boost

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OpTic_G1BBY

Reaction score
I have a 1998 k1500 with the 5.7l vortec that my dad and I just rebuild. I was wondering what type of mods and accessories i could or add on to it to get some more power for around $2500. Looked into a new engine say a 383 but not 100% sure if it will fit into the engine bay. We were looking to get it to atleast 340+ from what it is now at 265. For the most part it is stock besides like the K&N Intake and the new heads.

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
5.3 swap + tune for that cash will net you the best performance.
If you want to stick with the 5.7, you can do your entire exhaust, an intake, a cam, and a tune for around $1500 - that should put you around the 340 mark (uneducated guesstimation).

91 Octane tune on a stock motor general nets 25-35 whp (according the BB and Nelson). Add a full exhaust (after tune) I guess is good for around 7-10 whp, and then a cam (after tune) is good for another 30~ (assuming stock cylinder head compression, you can't get to wild here without making some major modifications).

This will probably get you to near the limits of the stock fuel system on a vortec 350. Somewhere around 300-320 whp.

Again, this is just a sum of the general reading and research I've done. I make no claims to the accuracy of my statements.

OpTic_G1BBY

Reaction score
Do you know what a stock 5.3 engines output is and i know this is gonna sound like im asking for engine trouble but how hard/time consumeing is it to put a turbo/super charger on a 5.7l or is it even possible. Also is it possible to put it on the 5.3l. Also what do you belive the maximum ammount of boost would be/power gain.

chevyforlife

Reaction score
GM has a crate 383 Vortec that is the 5.7 block that costs a little more than $2500 but it is exactly what you want. It's more of a torque monster but I think it has 340 horses. It drops in and bolts up to the system you already have. Teamed with headers, lower gears and a tune, it will give you some scary smiles, that's if you like running hard in a pickup truck.

OpTic_G1BBY

Reaction score
Ok so i got to looking a engines specifically a 5.7l 383 vortec and all i can find is carbourated which isn't a huge deal but i much prefer efi because it is a daily driver. That is when i got a call from a friend he has a LS3 that dinos at 400Hp to the wheel and only wants $4000. My question is will the LS3 fit in my 98 k1500? Also what sort of mods will i have to do to make it fit? Or do you know if they make a supercharger for the 5.7l 350?

Last edited: