1998 K1500 5.0 P1336

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brettmd2

Reaction score
Hello All,

I'm having an issue with my 1998 K1500 5.0. I recently replace the fuel pump, fuel filter, throttle position sensor, MAF sensor, ignition coil, new plug wires and plugs, distributor is fairly new, new ecm(pre-programmed to VIN) and crankshaft position sensor. The truck is currently throwing a P1336 (Crankshaft Position System Variation Not Learned). I've been searching the internet for people having the same issue and have found people saying they had the sensor relearned, some saying it doesn't need to be done. I've tried the old battery connections together for 10 seconds trick to no avail. I'm wondering if you guys could steer me in the right direction of whether it needs to be reprogrammed or not, as well as anyone who had the same issue with a fix. The engine currently. turns over fine and runs for a few seconds and eventually dies. The engine dies when i give it throttle. The security light is not staying on or flashing, and there was a recent key relearn procedure done. I currently have the fuel pump wired separately to an independent battery.

Thanks, Brett.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think I had this on my 98 Tahoe. I took it to a garage where they had the scanner or whatever capable of doing it, and it didn't work. Ended up tweaking the distributor just a touch, that little bit was enough to get into the correct timing. It ran fine before that, now the light ain't on lol

Brettmd2

Reaction score
I think I had this on my 98 Tahoe. I took it to a garage where they had the scanner or whatever capable of doing it, and it didn't work. Ended up tweaking the distributor just a touch, that little bit was enough to get into the correct timing. It ran fine before that, now the light ain't on lol

Very good, ill give this a try tomorrow. I haven't touched the distributor since it stopped running but thats not to say it wasn't nudged while doing other work. Thanks for your input, will post results.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Replacing PCM and distributor will absolutely cause the truck to throw this code. You need to have a CASE (crank angle sensor error) relearn performed AFTER you verify your CMPRET, that is clocking the distributor properly. CMPRET can be done with a bluetooth dealie and cellphone app. This may be enough to make the truck happy. If not, I believe anyone with a decent Snapon scanner can do it. Takes seconds once the test is ready to go.

Brettmd2

Reaction score
Replacing PCM and distributor will absolutely cause the truck to throw this code. You need to have a CASE (crank angle sensor error) relearn performed AFTER you verify your CMPRET, that is clocking the distributor properly. CMPRET can be done with a bluetooth dealie and cellphone app. This may be enough to make the truck happy. If not, I believe anyone with a decent Snapon scanner can do it. Takes seconds once the test is ready to go.

the truck was running after the distributor was changed without codes. I may try the old computer in it tomorrow because it was replaced as a suspected fault but was t proven. I am borrowing a solus pro on wednesday to run some relearns on the system and will do that with the new computer.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
the truck was running after the distributor was changed without codes. I may try the old computer in it tomorrow because it was replaced as a suspected fault but was t proven. I am borrowing a solus pro on wednesday to run some relearns on the system and will do that with the new computer.

The PCM in and of itself will throw the code as well.

Brettmd2

Reaction score

Just tweaked the distributor a few different ways with no luck. Ill wait til wednesday to get my friends Snap On solus pro to do some relearns and see if that changes things.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Mine never did and I've swapped them in my red truck more times than I can remember...

Sorry can, not will. I want to say swapping the crank position sensor can throw the code as well. I've changed all of this stuff on my own trucks and never seen a P1336 personally, but I still perform a CASE relearn and dial in the CMPRET after messing with stuff because it can still have 2nd and 3rd order effects without throwing a code.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sorry can, not will. I want to say swapping the crank position sensor can throw the code as well. I've changed all of this stuff on my own trucks and never seen a P1336 personally, but I still perform a CASE relearn and dial in the CMPRET after messing with stuff because it can still have 2nd and 3rd order effects without throwing a code.

Your trucks are 0411 swapped though right? I don't think the stock black box PCMs will even let you do a CASE relearn unless they actually need one for some reason. I asked my mechanic to do one once even though it wasn't throwing any codes and it wouldn't let him complete the process with a Tech 2.

EDIT - This was a '97 PCM.