1998 GMC K1500 5.7L Vortec Cam question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChromedZ71

Reaction score
I have a '98 K1500 with the Vortec 350, I have been wanting to put a lumpier cam in. I want the lumpiest cam I can get giving me the most torque and power increase possible but also to give me the best fuel mileage I can gain while hauling my 9.5ft camper.

Part numbers, name brands, experience, any info is welcomed please!

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Without machining the valve guides down in height, as well as reducing the od of the guide, and going to PC type seals, machining the spring pockets ( depending on the cam profile and springs required ) and pinning the rocker studs ( or drilling and tapping for screw in studs ) the absolute most lift you could run would be .470 before the retainer contacts the top of the guide.

To get the full advantage of the camshaft you will need to have it tuned. The stock computer has a 5200 rpm limiter from what I have read, so most people obtain a newer 0411 computer, which is more supported as well as having a faster processor, and the ability to run E fans.

Long tube headers will help out in the torque department. The stock internal injector fuel system will only support so much power. From what I have read it flows enough fuel to support 400 hp at it's limit. ( I have not done the calculations )

To recap: to be optimized for a moderate camshaft figure on spending $1000 or so. If you want more than .500 lift it could triple that amount of money as the most cost effective move is to ditch the stock heads in favor of aftermarket ones that allow more lift. Then you run into limitations of the fuel system.

Before spending any money on an engine it would be wise to do a compression check at the very least. If the engine has high mileage it may be more cost effective to replace it.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Having contemplated swapping out a camshaft and doing cost vs benefit analysis it seems the most effective easiest way to make more power is with a low mileage 6.0L swap. The LS platform has several advantages over the vortec engines. If you aren't comfortable with the swap the 2nd option I would probably go for is a stroker small block keeping your exhaust and getting it tuned. Even then you may be at the limitations of the fuel system at 4500 plus RPM.

glfirefighter144

Whoa Black Betty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Marine intake will solve the fuel issue, but finding one complete at a reasonable price is difficult, I'm going 383 in my 96 and all I have left is the machine work for the block and deciding on heads

Sent from my DROID RAZR M using Tapatalk 2

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
I am not on my laptop at the moment and both summit and comp websites search functions suck on android. This is about the biggest you can go without machining and other work.

http://m.summitracing.com/parts/hrs-180225-12

Add on a timing chain set, some gaskets a new water pump and timing cover and you can expect to be in the $400 range shipped to Canada. You should still get the computer tuned. Adding an oil change, coolant flush, possibly rad hoses while the system is empty would be advised. You may have to get the timing set by someone that has a scanner to read timing offset... or by the dealer.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drock-530