1998 7.4 Vortec EGR tube replacement/repair

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MarkC73

Reaction score
The corrugated tubing itself is made of very thin wall stainless steel. I blew a hole in mine when I was heating it with a torch to remove it. I just welded the hole back up before I reinstalled it. Can you take a picture of what degree of mangled-ness you’re working with on yours? Some more repair ideas might be discovered if we can see it.

I will try and get a photo of the damage later but essentially the previous owners didn’t pay attention to the tube while tightening the JIC/ Flare nut and twisted the tube, which ripped a hole in it. In order for me to “clean up the mess” I had to cut a 3” section of the tubing out to get back to good round tube.

Marbo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
just my 2cents, i believe gas line flex is stainless and may even come with the right flares .... check with a friendly gas fitter near you

MarkC73

Reaction score

Stainless commercial gas line for a water heater or furnace is similar yes. It can be purchased in the yellow coated (which will burn off due to that line not being “heat” rated like the stainless EGR tubing).
Also, the JIC flare fittings are far smaller that the fittings on the Vortec 7.4 system.
Only way to change to that style of tubing is to change the inlet/outlet fittings. The one in the intake is easily removed; the one in the manifold however is a different story; not as easily done.
This option is one that’s still on the table of course, but I did finally find one ( I hope it’s right) from a wrecking yard in California. Will update everyone once it arrives if it is correct or not.
As of now, I am just being patient and have my fingers crossed.

MarkC73

Reaction score
Well all, quick update.
Looks like the possible “source” that I had located one from has been a waste of time. Since Oct7, the part was ordered and on its way to me leaving Bonanza Auto Dismantlers in Shingle Springs CA; Friday OCT 9....still waiting for its arrival. Called multiple times to inquire, always get the run around or lied to and saying it’s shipped with no tracking information provided.
So, anyone looking to get “used” parts, I highly recommend avoiding these dishonest people as this has been nothing short of an ignorant nightmare.
Looks like I am still searching/ preparing to fabricate something to repair/ replace the EGR tube.

Crazydavez28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well all, quick update.
Looks like the possible “source” that I had located one from has been a waste of time. Since Oct7, the part was ordered and on its way to me leaving Bonanza Auto Dismantlers in Shingle Springs CA; Friday OCT 9....still waiting for its arrival. Called multiple times to inquire, always get the run around or lied to and saying it’s shipped with no tracking information provided.
So, anyone looking to get “used” parts, I highly recommend avoiding these dishonest people as this has been nothing short of an ignorant nightmare.
Looks like I am still searching/ preparing to fabricate something to repair/ replace the EGR tube.

Like someone said take the fittings out of each end Intake and Exhaust manifold. figure out the pipe thread sizes and then order stainless hydraulic fittings to adapt to a JIC size you can obtain. Then update this thread with the results. If I get a chance I'll measure the female pipe threads and update.

What is the stock pipe length?

TagAllen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
PM me. I have one I am not using. Its disconnected from the exhaust but still hooked to the intake. Intake is sitting in my garage.