1998 7.4 Vortec EGR tube replacement/repair

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MarkC73

Reaction score
Hello all,
First time member looking for a lead or some advice here.
I have a motorhome that has a 98 vortec 454 and I need advice on repairing a EGR tube from the the drivers manifold to the EGR. The tube has been twisted and now has a good sized hole blown through it. I cut the section out and tried a high temp silicone replacement tube, but it lasted about 20 mins before it blew out as well. My assumption is my EGR valve is bad, so I will replace it; but I need ideas on the best way to repair the tube properly (to handle the heat and pressure) or if someone knows where a good replacement maybe be that I could purchase, that would be awesome.
Thank you in advance for the help.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Welcome aboard!

Does your EGR tube bolt to the manifold? If so, you should be able to bolt a new one. It has very hot gases because that's the way it works. If you don't have any SES codes, it's likely working fine. You can remove the valve to inspect it and clean it, but that's probably all you need to do. BTW, those little EGR valves are spendy at the local parts store, well over $100.

Here's an article on checking them with a digital DVMO meter:

https://easyautodiagnostics.com/gm/4.3L-5.0L-5.7L/egr-valve-tests-1

They are the same as your 7.4.

Good luck!

MarkC73

Reaction score
Welcome aboard!

Does your EGR tube bolt to the manifold? If so, you should be able to bolt a new one. It has very hot gases because that's the way it works. If you don't have any SES codes, it's likely working fine. You can remove the valve to inspect it and clean it, but that's probably all you need to do. BTW, those little EGR valves are spendy at the local parts store, well over $100.

Here's an article on checking them with a digital DVMO meter:

https://easyautodiagnostics.com/gm/4.3L-5.0L-5.7L/egr-valve-tests-1

They are the same as your 7.4.

Good luck!

I appreciate the information. The tube itself has what appears to be flare or JIC fittings on the manifold and EGR.
Removing the old one isn’t the problem, it’s finding a way to repair the hole/ missing section or find a complete replacement tube.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
The tubes are NLA from GM, and Dorman doesn't offer one last I knew. People ask insane amounts for them on ebay or ruin them when they part out a truck. It would be nice to figure out if some standard industrial fittings/tube would work.

MarkC73

Reaction score
The tubes are NLA from GM, and Dorman doesn't offer one last I knew. People ask insane amounts for them on ebay or ruin them when they part out a truck. It would be nice to figure out if some standard industrial fittings/tube would work.

Yes, I did get that response from GM, and I agree, thus far find a used one has been virtually impossible for a “reasonable” price or that is useable.
I think I am going to have to hunt for some materials and see if repair/ rebuilding may be possible.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Does your RV use the same black box PCM that our trucks use? If so you could delete the EGR and have the PCM tuned accordingly. At least if you live in an area where that sort of thing is legal/acceptable

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At least if you live in an area where that sort of thing is legal/acceptable
It's legal NOWHERE in the USA. Some jurisdictions don't inspect for it, though.

If this were me, and I was desperate, I'd bend and flare some aluminum or steel tubing to fit between exhaust manifold fitting and intake manifold fitting.

It'd be best if there was some extra material (length) to accommodate expansion/contraction.

Of course, the best system would involve the sort of flexy-tubing used by GM. Good luck finding that.

Carlaisle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If compression fittings could be sourced with the appropriate thread/fitting on each end it would be fairly easy to fabricate a replacement from copper or stainless tube.