1998 5.0 Vortec swap to 1999 LS 4.8 vortec

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There's no way you're getting 80hp from a cam swap without going nuts.
To clarify I should have added two things to my 80 Hp claim:

1. Long tube headers, I use them on all of my vehicles so I forgot to even mention them.

2. I was talking engine dyno numbers not rear wheel.

That Holdener video proves my point, 80 Hp gains with just a cam and valvesprings.

I use speed engineering headers on my LS trucks, they sound great and they are low cost!

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is essentially a L31 with some head cleaup on the crappy flowing Mexican Vortecs and a 218 @ 0.050 LT4 hot cam. The good OE Canadian heads already flow out of the box about what the Mexican heads flow with the work he did on them.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

1. Long tube headers, I use them on all of my vehicles so I forgot to even mention them.

That Holdener video proves my point, 80 Hp gains with just a cam and valvesprings.

I use speed engineering headers on my LS trucks, they sound great and they are low cost!

The only nit I would pick is the 224 cam I had was anything but mild. It shook my whole car, which I loved of course.

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The only nit I would pick is the 224 cam I had was anything but mild. It shook my whole car, which I loved of course.
Well yes everyone has a different idea of what mild is lol!! I have a massive cam in one of my 12.8:1 compression Buick 350s… idled at 1000 rpm and makes power between 3500-7000 rpm. I can’t remember the cam specs but it’s big!

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
This is essentially a L31 with some head cleaup on the crappy flowing Mexican Vortecs and a 218 @ 0.050 LT4 hot cam. The good OE Canadian heads already flow out of the box about what the Mexican heads flow with the work he did on them.

I like that channel. Check out this Vortec with an LT4 cam. I think he cheated with some head work, but this thing rips.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score

I'd long been under the impression that a high effort cam would yield 60 or so on a truck motor.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I like that channel. Check out this Vortec with an LT4 cam. I think he cheated with some head work, but this thing rips.

I cheated on the old Q-Jet fed version I built nearly 20 years ago with a bit of head work. A little bit of intake bowl, chamber and exhaust porting. Without the cylinder head work it still would have made 400 hp given it had good 906s on it and the Humble Pie Goodwrench L31 350 Car Craft made 401 hp out of at about the same time had the Mexican 062s on it.