1998 5.0 Vortec swap to 1999 LS 4.8 vortec

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The LS engines need a proper tune, and long tube headers to show thier worth. A mild cam is a 80 HP upgrade.

Mild cam in a L31 350 is a similar gain. The OE Vortecs actually outflow the Gen3 4.8/5.3L heads stock for stock. A SBC sees better gains from a set of headers than a LS does. I have had small blocks gain 40+ TQ with headers.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The LS engines need a proper tune, and long tube headers to show thier worth. A mild cam is a 80 HP upgrade.

?? No. A mid sized cam in my C5 Z06 will get me around 40hp.

Here's how a 4.8, 5.3, and 6.0 stack up to a 454.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Where the 4.8 shines is under boost. Apparently you can just crank the boost to the moon, well past where a stock 5.3 or 6.0 can hang on, because of that short stroke. Somehow the rods just hang on better.

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mild cam in a L31 350 is a similar gain. The OE Vortecs actually outflow the Gen3 4.8/5.3L heads stock for stock. A SBC sees better gains from a set of headers than a LS does. I have had small blocks gain 40+ TQ with headers.
Wow that’s impressive thank you for the information! Have you ever tried vortec heads in replacement of the TBI heads, a carb intake and an adapter plate for the GM EFI? I would like to figure out how to do a dual TBI setup!

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wow that’s impressive thank you for the information! Have you ever tried vortec heads in replacement of the TBI heads, a carb intake and an adapter plate for the GM EFI? I would like to figure out how to do a dual TBI setup!
I have on a performer rpm and a vic jr manifold using a 2" bore TBI. I have done the dual TBI setup on a tunnel ram on a solid roller 406 with AFR eliminator 210s. There are several companies offering Peak and Hold injector driver amplifiers int the $200 range that will allow a TBI ECM to drive 4 TBI injectors correctly. The 93-95 TBI Automatic transmissiom PCMs have fuel and spark tables to 6,400 rpm and can handle a good bit more rpm, but the injector pulsewidth will be fixed at whatever it was in the 6,400 rpm VE table cell. The system will drift a little rich over ~6,400 but we were cranking that 406 to 7,200.

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have on a performer rpm and a vic jr manifold using a 2" bore TBI. I have done the dual TBI setup on a tunnel ram on a solid roller 406 with AFR eliminator 210s. There are several companies offering Peak and Hold injector driver amplifiers int the $200 range that will allow a TBI ECM to drive 4 TBI injectors correctly. The 93-95 TBI Automatic transmissiom PCMs have fuel and spark tables to 6,400 rpm and can handle a good bit more rpm, but the injector pulsewidth will be fixed at whatever it was in the 6,400 rpm VE table cell. The system will drift a little rich over ~6,400 but we were cranking that 406 to 7,200.
That is very cool I didn’t know that they sold parts to facilitate dual TBI, it would work well I think! I don’t want to derail this thread but if you are interested in sharing more info about the dual TBI send me a message?

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's no way you're getting 80hp from a cam swap without going nuts.

Holdener has some videos on it. I don't recall the numbers. He doesn't measure with accessories and obviously uses an engine dyno.

My heads cam LS6 made something like 440 on a hub dyno. Gave the sheet to the new owner, so just going from memory.