1998 4.3 vortec to transmission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mattmay

Reaction score
i have a 1998 4.3 vortec is the any way run a 700r4 or th350 transmission behind it ?

rosco

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This article is more about engines, but it touches on the transmission bell housing a little bit. Looks like the 4.3 uses the same bell housing as any v8. http://www.advanceadapters.com/tech-vault/chevy--gm-engines/

Based on that info, I think yes, it would bolt up. I don't know what your computer would think though. Might have to get it reprogrammed.

mattmay

Reaction score
yeah it will bolt up but how do i hook up the cables transmission ?

rosco

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, is this just an engine for a project car, or is your current trans going out? Considering it's a 98, best bet would be to stick with a 4L60. If it's for an older project car, you'll need the TV cable and wiring for the 700r4 and maybe a vacuum converter for it. The TH350 will need the same "Kick-down" cable, but with no wiring. There is also the issue of the trans mount, cross member, and driveshaft for a current vehicle. There are a few hot rod forums that talk about this.