1998 4.3 programmer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

justav6

Reaction score
I'm primarily needing one to adust the speedometer but a little performance bossy wouldn't hurt and I don't want to do black bear. What's everyone else running and there impression mines a stock v6 5 speed with exhaust and ignition

mistaake

Reaction score
Any particular reason Black Bear is out? They do seem to offer what you want as per their site. I have no experience in the matter which is why I'm curious.

justav6

Reaction score
I don't have the money to but an extra computer to send them or have the truck down while I send it's to them and they are doing a tuning event near me for a while

chrmaka

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well bud, sorry to hurt your feelings but a programmer can run 300$+ which is the price for a BB tune.

Take this from a guy that had a programmer on his truck before a BB tune. The tune is well worth your money.

SwampHound

GMT400 Love Guru
Reaction score
The way it works with the mail in tune, is you fill out an order sheet, they send you a new "tuned" PCM, and then you mail them your old one for a refund. Cost about the same as a programmer and actually does something, unlike a traditional hand held tuner. Been there, done that. They're garbage.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Only thing that my hand-held programmer was good for, was to remove the speed limiter, allowed the engine to rev a bit higher before the limiter kicked in & allowed computer adjustment for the gear ratio change & different tire sizes.
The 'performance shift improver' mode didn't add all that much. Barely noticeable.
Other than that, the actual performance benefits were minimal.