1997 K1500 Suburban vacuum diagram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I swapped the Chevy Performane HT383e motor into my Suburban a few years back.
I had just done the "first phase" of fixing my truck, made her road ready and eager to drive.
Been daily driving her ever since and completely fallen in love.

Kevco

Perfect timing lol. Must be a sign you just happen to have a 383 vortec:)
So I'm one day looking at getting one or building one .. Hows it been doing/any issues? Any noticable difference? Do you highly recommend it? And last any tips if I was to purchase one?

Kevco2

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Perfect timing lol. Must be a sign you just happen to have a 383 vortec:)
any tips if I was to purchase one?
I never drove my truck with the stock motor on the road, only to get in around the yard and into the garage. My HT383e was only $3400 (I think) since I had a commercial loading dock to send it too for GREATLY reduced shipping costs. I bought it as the "Truck re-power kit" from GM and they call it direct fit right in the manual. My 4l60e immediately lost 3/4 so I needed a rebuild, but I am sure it was already on it's way out. I did not tune anything, stock everything just came right off the knocking 350 or factory replacement new parts

This was 4 years ago now and I have GREATLY improved my knowledge of the GMT400
My truck has been on the lift since August for a whole new front end, grind and paint the whole frame, axle seals/bearings and U-joints. Long term maintenance stuff previous owners neglected and which I was too impatient/uneducated to recognize when first getting the Battle Wagon road worthy
So the best advice I can say is make sure the rest of your truck is ready to handle a fresh motor with more torque AND to take advantage of not having the drivetrain in the way. Address any rust, get that engine bay clean as you can while it is empty and paint what you can

I know there are MANY more guys on here who can give you specifics if you keep asking around. I am still learning tons myself and I want to still be driving my truck until they outlaw gasoline. But it really all depends on just how deep down the rabbit hole you can/want to go. I am just looking for OEM+, better than factory but not something no longer comfortable or streetable

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I never drove my truck with the stock motor on the road, only to get in around the yard and into the garage. My HT383e was only $3400 (I think) since I had a commercial loading dock to send it too for GREATLY reduced shipping costs. I bought it as the "Truck re-power kit" from GM and they call it direct fit right in the manual. My 4l60e immediately lost 3/4 so I needed a rebuild, but I am sure it was already on it's way out. I did not tune anything, stock everything just came right off the knocking 350 or factory replacement new parts

This was 4 years ago now and I have GREATLY improved my knowledge of the GMT400
My truck has been on the lift since August for a whole new front end, grind and paint the whole frame, axle seals/bearings and U-joints. Long term maintenance stuff previous owners neglected and which I was too impatient/uneducated to recognize when first getting the Battle Wagon road worthy
So the best advice I can say is make sure the rest of your truck is ready to handle a fresh motor with more torque AND to take advantage of not having the drivetrain in the way. Address any rust, get that engine bay clean as you can while it is empty and paint what you can

I know there are MANY more guys on here who can give you specifics if you keep asking around. I am still learning tons myself and I want to still be driving my truck until they outlaw gasoline. But it really all depends on just how deep down the rabbit hole you can/want to go. I am just looking for OEM+, better than factory but not something no longer comfortable or streetable

I hear you lol. This one getting rebuilt. Shes got 474k Miles on some stuff. Trying to replace as much as I can so I can make it like new. Front end all new on her and her tranny from gm about 1 yrs old. I've just fallen in love with the 383 and want one now so bad. But I may tinker with the current motor to get some more life out of it and save while I'm doing so. But having a vortec I didnt know if the ses come on or if any codes triggered since it's a (performance)motor. Gm says it's a plug in play but theres always the small print lol. Plus if I got this motor I want all new stuff under the hood like sensors, hoses, and mounts.