1997 K1500 (5.7L) Cruise Control NIGHTMARE!! PLEASE HELP!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

frydlittlman

Reaction score
OK first things first.
The Specs:
1997 Silverado (k1500)
5.7L Vortec 350 SBC
Rebuilt stock 4l60e
new multi-function switch on the column.
recently replaced stoplamp switch on the brake pedal.

WTF is going on here! . . .

CRUISE CONTROL SYSTEM!:

whenever I push my brake pedal, ALL brake lights come on like they should.
Yet if I do the TCC lockup test where you're flyin down the highway and if you barely tap the brake pedal, not enough to trigger the brake lights. . .

I didn't recall hearing the engine or watching the tach jump 200-300 RPM.

The cruise control will not operate AT ALL!!
According to the cruise control troubleshooting chart both in the main OEM FSM and 1988-1998 cruise system TSB FROM GENERAL MOTORS!
I unplugged cruise module connector and ran thru the entire chart with the ohm meter and mine passed with flying colors. Yet I'd drive to work and from 25-35 mph try to engage cruise and every time NO DICE!

4L60E TCC NOT GOING INTO LOCKUP!:

Approx. a year after the transmission was rebuilt, started noticing that it stopped "shifting into final gear", which is actually the Torque Converter locking up! Long story short, a buddy actually noticed the ECT barely connected! Replacing the ECT solved all problems, EXCEPT CRUISE FUNCTION!

BRAKE CONTROLLER/ TRAILER WIRING!:

When I installed the brake controller box and a 4 and 7 wire multi connector with the stock Z71 trailer brake harness is when I decided to replace the multifunction switch, since it's tied in to all the same stuff. . .
checked it out with ohm and test light, everything was as it should be . . .
EXCEPT CRUISE CONTROL TOTAL INOPERATION!

Sometime this week I will tear back into the column and make sure somethin didn't get shorted or fried and since Ive got lights that should eliminate the PITA brake switch!
The only lucky charms Ive thought of is to check the circuit board of the cruise module on the firewall, according to the write-up, if you notice anything besides good connection, (I.E. worked loose from plug/unplugging connector, re run with soldering iron and that's supposed to be solution!

Ive included everything I could think of, u know what I know.
For being long-winded, I apologize y'all.
Anyone with a miracle or a bright idea thanks in advance, I appreciate it.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I unplugged cruise module connector and ran thru the entire chart with the ohm meter and mine passed with flying colors. Yet I'd drive to work and from 25-35 mph try to engage cruise and every time NO DICE!

Just to rule it out, the owner’s book says that it will it not function below 25-mph or so. Not sure what the threshold really is or what the VCM is using to determine that, but would think that the service manual would cover it.

You must be registered for see images attach

Does it work at higher speeds?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jdla140

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The ECT is capable of disabling overdrive, if you didn't notice the TCC unlock while pressing the brakes, you probably aren't getting TCC lockup. could be caused by the brake switch. There's 2 parts, one part controls the lights themselves, the other part tells the PCM that the brakes are pressed, one can fail while the other works fine. Any Codes? Does ABS work as it should? Check the "BRAKE" fuse on the fuse panel inside the truck.

frydlittlman

Reaction score
Just to rule it out, the owner’s book says that it will it not function below 25-mph or so. Not sure what the threshold really is or what the VCM is using to determine that, but would think that the service manual would cover it.

You must be registered for see images attach

Does it work at higher speeds?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
it doesnt work at all!

frydlittlman

Reaction score
Just an update, I found out that one of the brake light bulbs on my center stop light was out!
I replaced it and I'll find out on Monday if that fixes any of the problems!

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know why a burned-out bulb would make any difference.

As said, there's two brake switches, at least on my '88. BOTH have to work to get cruise operation.