1997 K1500 5.7 Vortec - Crank, no start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ryan Poitra

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Looking for some help with a crank, no start.

My brother and I spent the better part of the day yesterday trying to figure this out. We replaced the ignition coil, ignition control module, check for spark, checked the fuel pump, fuel pump fuse, and also spent about an hour cussing. Crankshaft position sensor was also replaced at a shop about 3 months ago. Cap and rotor were replaced about 6 months ago. Spark plugs about that time too.

After they replaced it i would have to crank it 2 or 3 times before it would finally start. Then, 2 weeks ago it started getting cold here (North Dakota) and it just cranks now. Tried putting some combustibles into the throttle body and it just cranked again. I’m at my wits end here and I really don’t want to pay a shop to repair it unless I absolutely have to.

Could it be spark plug wires? Maybe the timing is off somehow due to the cap/rotor, but it took 6 months to finally catch up to me? Perhaps the fuel pump is just not pumping strong enough? Any help or direction is greatly appreciated.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DO YOU HAVE SPARK that's strong enough to jump an HEI spark tester?

DO YOU HAVE FOULED SPARK PLUGS? How do you know?

Is the distributor cap wet on the inside?

What is the fuel pressure? Does the fuel pump prime when the key is turned to "run" or "crank"?

What is the cranking compression of all eight?

What do you see in the data stream when you connect a scan tool and crank the engine? Based on the data stream, what is the cranking RPM? What is the coolant temperature? What is the MAP sensor showing for pressure? What is the cam sensor offset?