1997 K1500/2500?/3500? Frankenstein wheel assembly

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wetsewerrat

Reaction score
I am now the proud owner of a '97 K1500 that's been totally gone through.

The truck is a lot of fun but I brought it into Les Schwaub recently and they said the front passenger wheel bearing is bad.

I bought parts to replace it thinking it was a 1500, but it turns out the suspension and wheel assembly is off a '98 3500. I knew the suspension was, I didn't know the brakes were. I should've known something was different based on there being 8 lugs.

Before I realized I had the wrong parts, I had the wheel off and was trying to take the axle nut off but it seemed larger than 35 mm, which is what I thought were on 1500. Does anybody know what size this nut is? Also the torque specs for it?

I am assuming the wheel assembly is from a 3500, does anybody know any ways to tell if its from a 2500 or 3500? They have 8 lugs.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds like a built truck. GM didn’t build 3/4 or 1ton step side. If ur door says 1500 was the truck repainted? Was the door replaced? Maybe some pics to see what’s going on....

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think the 2500/3500 are the same, not certain, however. Does it have the forged lower control arms? Check this video out:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

According to this guy the axle nut is 36mm

If it is 8 lugs at the front, what do you have at the rear? Also 8 lugs? I guess they also swapped the rear axle out of a 2500 or 3500?

ullwn

Reaction score
FWIW......

You can use a hub puller attachment;

OTC Front Hub Puller Part number: 7901
with a ten pound slide hammer{a five pound slide hammer is too small]

or

OTC Front Hub Puller Par Number 6290A Front Hub Puller, this tool does not require a slide hammer.

to remove the hub/bearing assembly without removing the knuckle from the control arms. MUCH less time and work

The person in the video did not read or have the Factory Service Manual

Regards

Joseph

ullwn

Reaction score
I ask as K1500 Suburban with a 6.5 Diesel where built on K2500 frame.

The K1500 diesel Suburban came with 8 lug suspension, I have 98 K1500 and 99 K2500 suspension is the same on both

Yours may be the same, the original factory hub assembly are available, not from GM but from the Manufacture, Timken Company

When I changed mine on the K1500, I installed larger rotor and calipers on the front and larger rear wheel cylinders from a K3500 to get better stopping. It is a direct bolt on swap for the 8 lug, you have to change front rotor and calipers as the rotor are 1/4" thicker and the calipers piston is wider and has a larger piston. The rear wheel cylinder are also larger.

It is well known GMT 400 do not have not very good breaks especially on the Suburbans

Regards

Joseph

Last edited: