1997 c1500 5.7 carb

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vizionwolf

Reaction score
So I have a 96 c1500 that has the stock trans but I’m putting a carbureted engine into the question is will the trans work without all the electronics on the engine and if not for anyone that has what did you buy to make it work

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope. You'll need TPS signal for the transmission, and what are you going to do for a distributor?

A better question is why are you swapping to a carburetor? Wrong heads and timing cover for the Vortec injection? Can't troubleshoot EFI? Cam too big for the factory ECM? We might know a better route if we know the story.

vizionwolf

Reaction score
So pretty much it’s is the cam for the most part but my client doesn’t want to deal with tuning issues and doesn’t want to spend a fortune on aftermarket tbi set ups unless you know someone that can tune the 97 that isn’t bad on price possibly could still go that route

vizionwolf

Reaction score
Also quick question just had a new issue come up this morning due to having a bad block we are switching to the vortec block but we don’t wanna buy a different cam we have a flat tappets but the lifters won’t fit in the vortec block do you know if there is flat tappets that will or if it is safe to use new roller lifters with a flat tappets cam.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do not use roller lifters with a flat tappet cam, nor flat tappet lifters with a roller cam.

Shelve that cam and get a roller cam. Yeah, they cost a bit more, but a roller cam is superior in pretty much every way. I won't run a flat tappet again.

Since you're going back to a Vortec block, run the Vortec injection. Spend the money to get it tuned. If your client can't afford the right cam and a tune, he doesn't need to be modifying the engine. You need to be able to explain that to him, or he's going to blame you when it's a janky mess.