1996 GMC K3500 Dually Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1989GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
not to rain on your parade but i had a few duallies
1989 Square body 4x4 454 auto 3 speed
2000 Classic c3500 350 2wd auto
2001 F350 Superduty 4x4 7.3 6 speed ( current own)

I also had plenty of single wheel trucks.

What you will find is that duallies are
a PITA to park in narrow places liek garages and pretty much every parking lot.

Tires are expensive. And the front tires wear twice as fast as the rear tires. So by the time you wear out the rears you’ll be on the second set of fronts.

These trucks are heavy. YOull eat ball joints and brake pads and rotors and steering components And front shocks. I took care of my trucks and the front tires wore out pretty quick. Neither diesel or big blocks are exactly light engines. And the combination f heavy engines, cooling systems, heavy duty suspension parts all take a toll on the truck front end.

tires are expensive and if you have chrome or aluminum wheels you need to dismount the tires to rotate them or you can only do side to side rotation or leave as is and replace tires. if you have steel wheels this doesnt matter but the wheels are gonna look like crap when rotated.

gas mileage is gonna suffer turning 6 tires. And with a 454 your wallet is gonna hate you.

if driving in snow duallies aren’t good for traction even if you have 4wd.

youre not squeezing that 8 foot wide fat ass lady anywhere. be careful when trying to squeeze into turn lanes. Ask me how I know

Dualies are heavy. Make sure you have GOOD jack and stands. Not kidding.

They are cool to look at and the extra lights at night make it even cooler.

Enjoy your new ride but make sure you understand the costs are gonna run a but higher than a smaller single wheel truck.

frito-bandito

8 Lugs + 6 Tires + 4 Doors
Reaction score
Good grief man, talk about crapping on a man's plans.

It ain't all that, but something tells me you're a big boy and can handle the tires, the mpgs, etc....carry on. I think your project is gonna be dope!
Agreed, don’t let the negativity slow you down, it hasn’t slowed my dually project down lol

93M6Formula

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
1989 Square body 4x4 454 auto 3 speed
2000 Classic c3500 350 2wd auto
2001 F350 Superduty 4x4 7.3 6 speed ( current own)

Tires are expensive. And the front tires wear twice as fast as the rear tires. So by the time you wear out the rears you’ll be on the second set of fronts.

These trucks are heavy. YOull eat ball joints and brake pads and rotors and steering components And front shocks. I took care of my trucks and the front tires wore out pretty quick. Neither diesel or big blocks are exactly light engines. And the combination f heavy engines, cooling systems, heavy duty suspension parts all take a toll on the truck front end.

tires are expensive and if you have chrome or aluminum wheels you need to dismount the tires to rotate them or you can only do side to side rotation or leave as is and replace tires. if you have steel wheels this doesnt matter but the wheels are gonna look like crap when rotated.

gas mileage is gonna suffer turning 6 tires. And with a 454 your wallet is gonna hate you.

youre not squeezing that 8 foot wide fat ass lady anywhere. be careful when trying to squeeze into turn lanes. Ask me how I know

Enjoy your new ride but make sure you understand the costs are gonna run a but higher than a smaller single wheel truck.
Lol I appreciate the insight but I know full well what i'm getting into and i'm all in. This isn't going to be a daily driver or a city rig, mostly for towing and eventually a camper. I live in wide open small town Nebraska so I have plenty of space for the big girl. Like I said in the beginning also, this is getting a fresh 6.5 like I built for my SRW truck so it won't totally kill me on fuel.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Me too. Still do.
Me too. Still do.
Only if you suck at parking.
Dually tires aren't any more expensive than other tires, you just need a couple more.
The components are designed for a heavier truck. If you're wearing stuff out fast, something is wrong.
tires are expensive
See above.
and if you have chrome or aluminum wheels you need to dismount the tires to rotate them or you can only do side to side rotation or leave as is and replace tires.
The two inners are the same as the two fronts if they're all aluminum. Rotate accordingly.
if you have steel wheels this doesnt matter but the wheels are gonna look like crap when rotated.
Chrome simulators will fix this issue.
Suffer compaerd to what? An overworked 350 trying to push the same load?
That's simply not true.
Only if you suck at driving.
That is true.
Also true.
Apples to oranges cost comparison.

Eskimomann209

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Lol I appreciate the insight but I know full well what i'm getting into and i'm all in. This isn't going to be a daily driver or a city rig, mostly for towing and eventually a camper. I live in wide open small town Nebraska so I have plenty of space for the big girl. Like I said in the beginning also, this is getting a fresh 6.5 like I built for my SRW truck so it won't totally kill me on fuel.
I plan on building a 6.5 someday with the mechanical FI to swap my Electronic one out.
Whose parts are you using?

frito-bandito

8 Lugs + 6 Tires + 4 Doors
Reaction score
Me too. Still do.

Me too. Still do.

Only if you suck at parking.

Dually tires aren't any more expensive than other tires, you just need a couple more.

The components are designed for a heavier truck. If you're wearing stuff out fast, something is wrong.

See above.

The two inners are the same as the two fronts if they're all aluminum. Rotate accordingly.

Chrome simulators will fix this issue.

Suffer compaerd to what? An overworked 350 trying to push the same load?

That's simply not true.

Only if you suck at driving.

That is true.

Also true.

Apples to oranges cost comparison.
And don’t ever forget, duallies are bada$$ ‍♂️