1996 GM 1500 power mirror fuse location: can anyone confirm?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DennisT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's about it. My power mirrors stopped working on my 1996 K1500. All fuses are good in the fuse box at the left end of the dashboard. I see no fuses underhood that appear to deal with power mirrors. Anyone know if there is ONE Specific fuse for these? It must be listed under some combination of other features. Is there a relay involved? If so, where? A second fuse? I've spent several hours so far and no fix. I did swap out the complete armrest switch unit with another, which did not help. Then I had a take-out separate mirror miltiswitch and tried that. Zip. I do realize, unfortunately, that it could easily be an open wire somewhere inside the door, or worse, where the wires all go through the door hinge area. If the latter should be the problem, I'm not sure repair is worth the nightmare. How have some of you dealt with this? Thanks, Dennis

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
1996 owner's manual, page 6-70, fuse 3 in the dash panel includes power mirrors (as well as many other functions) - be sure you're looking at the correct fuse as the numbering on the rows can appear confusing (one row off)

No need for the harness through the door jamb to be a nightmare. Look up the wire colors associated with the power mirrors in the factory service manual (links on this forum) and get out your multimeter.

By the way an owner's manual is really a useful piece of information, if for nothing more than fuse details and recommended lubricants. Answers a lot of simple but important questions. If you can score one for your truck cheap, get it. I used to save them out of all the parts trucks.

Richard

Last edited:

DennisT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Fixed! I pulled out fuse 3 again; looked OK. Put in different fuse. Both power mirrors work again. ll is well. Someotherguy, thanks. Interesting on these forums how someone caring enough to offer a simple reply, makes so much difference. I would probably have tried this, I just needed someone to tell me which fuse it actually was.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Fixed! I pulled out fuse 3 again; looked OK. Put in different fuse. Both power mirrors work again. ll is well. Someotherguy, thanks. Interesting on these forums how someone caring enough to offer a simple reply, makes so much difference. I would probably have tried this, I just needed someone to tell me which fuse it actually was.
I've had several fuses ( especially these tiny ones our trucks have in the dashboard fuse block) that didn't appear blown, but had a little grunginess on the blades. Replaced the fuse with another one, and it worked. Sometimes the fuse may be bad and non conductive where we can't see it.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Downloading the free pdf of the service manual for your year truck could save you a lot of heartburn. First rule of electric issue, check the fuse, visually and with test light, and or volt meter. Then start downstream troubleshooting.
The service manual would have answered all your questions and have photos and drawings.