1996 GM 1500 under-hood fuse block? Is their a tutorial for how to remove those pesky fuse connectors???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DennisT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not the bulkhead connector. 1996'ish GM 1500 series 400's. I've spent about 3 hours doing search, and there are a lot of hits on how to, "de-pin," various connectors. However, I picked up a nice under hood fuse/relay block and cover from wrecking yard last week and I've spent an obscene about of time trying to get the connectors out with their severed pigtails and have failed. Is there a tutorial on this anywhere? I think the fuse block is Delphi and might use MetraPac connector inserts, but I just can't connect the dots on this one. I see lots of kits on Amazon with bunches of de-pining tools........wonder if I'll need all that. Thanks, Dennis

Donald Mitchell

1990 C1500 5.7L
Reaction score
I'm not the one with the answer, but do you have a photo of the connectors? I'm too cheap to buy a tool unless I know it will work good. So on the ones I've done I get a good light and try to see what's holding it in and file the end of a paperclip or some other piece of thin metal to fit.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your talking about what I think, it’s a push in wire towards plug and at same time with small(real small) screwdriver push in tab inside plug, then kinda pull wire back and out. Probably doesn’t make sense, kinda hard to explain but once you get it, it’s easy.

DennisT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here are photos. I just want to unplug all the now useless connectors and their severed pigtails and have a fuse block I can build the way I want it. I have, indeed, tried multiple methods of, "poking," pins, icepick tips, etc., in to try to unlock the now unwanted connectors. Have yet to discover the right touch. I'll check the link posted above. Thanks, Dennis
You must be registered for see images attach

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Unfortunately, in my experience poking with various picks are the only way to remove those. Maybe try smaller picks with different angles.

I use these at work (not for your application). They are small enough to safely get the lint out of the charging port on my phone. But you may want a slightly thicker one to have the strength to push in the pin, maybe the .017 size. This is through McMaster-Carr:

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used to have the metal insert from a windshield wiper blade cut down for getting terminals out of connectors, but I lost it. I need to make a new one.

89RCLB

I'm Awesome...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Allen key/hex key in the right size works really well too.