1995 GMC C1500 engine cuts out then takes a few minutes to start. Pulling my hair out!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Should for sure, but I have used dielectric grease for years without issues
Unfortunately dielectric grease is an insulator, thermal paste is a heat conductor. This stuff is used in computers for heat transfer. Dielectric grease is used to prevent electrical conductance to other components, hence the name dielectric.

Dariusz Salomon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have you replaced fuel pump pigtail-this things are known to heat and expand losing connection? Also check the relay port for signs of melting and stuff.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately dielectric grease is an insulator, thermal paste is a heat conductor. This stuff is used in computers for heat transfer. Dielectric grease is used to prevent electrical conductance to other components, hence the name dielectric.

Reportedly dielectric grease works pretty good as a thermal conductor. A lot of guys use it, probably just because it's handy.

That being said, I would use only heat sink compound unless I was in a bind. A 5oz tube of Wakefield 120 can be found almost anywhere (I think even Amazon) and it should last a quite while in the toolbox... "a little dab will do ya".

Last edited: