1995 chevy k2500 project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I agree but when someone asks honest opinions he should expect some people to not care for stick on lund crap. It's a balance. Don't be disrespectful but also don't expect everyone to love it.

I see you have gears on yours list if you have enough $$$ Well in order to do the bigger tires and gears you'll need to have an extra $3000 atleast. Gears are actually not very expensive themselves, where they hit the wallet is installation fees $$$. You can get a front/rear set for like $500 but my gears including everything ran about $1400 I think :think: but def count on atleast $1200 to get gears in the truck, and another $1500 for 35-37's. Also, if you don't want to crank (which I do not blame you) then you're gonna have to go suspension lift b/c it looks like you already have a BL. That will run you an easy $1000 + whatever to install, unless you're doing it yourself.

I think you should concentrate on getting that truck running perfectly as it should before any modifications. Some of the mods are very easy and simple like removing all the stick on fast and furious stuff. It doesn't add any HP, doesn't match the body lines, or look good at all in general so I would take it off. That's just my opinion though. Get it running right and then see where you're at. Just to get in and out of the woods you'll be fine with a mud tire like you have now. Won't really need any special clearance. Even if you added a suspension lift and went with the same size tire you have it would not help in the slightest bit more than where you're at now, going through the woods. The ONLY thing that will gain you true ground clearance is a taller tire.

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For sure. This thing will be a strict woods truck? Or? If it is strictly offroad I would SFA it instead of going suspension lift or sell it and buy an older SFA truck!

BayDog

Reaction score
Yeah pretty much all woods, but I don't want to tow it to the woods. Yeah ill get rid of the lund stuff, I promise, just not priority now.

I have a friend who is a mechanic, so that should help with $ a little.

I have already looked into sfa but its to much $ and not needed yet, but is sfa it before I susp. Lift it.

I planned to wait to buy the bigger stuff till after I get it running good.

But right now I'm leaning towards sticking with the 315s or 35s. And maybe putting the money I save into a good winch. Since this truck weighs 8600lbs.

Thanks for the input, keep it coming

Last edited:

BayDog

Reaction score
Also, if I got a Detroit locker for the rear, could I still use it if I went to 4.56s, and do you have to mess with the pinion to put in a Detroit?

BayDog

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Is that better guys? I need a star bit to take the visor off, sorry. Ha.

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The truck looks much better with the add-ons removed.

For offroad gain its a toss up between the suspension lift and gears/locker. The lift allowed for the bigger tires and no crank, so smoother ride. But the gears makes it much easier to idle around and locker just grabs. Choice of tires can make a big difference too, I find my rockers pull much better then my old claws.