1995 4l60 in a 1996 truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chevy751

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to make a 1995 trans work in a 1996?
I had mine rebuilt for my truck. Turns out it’s a 1995 case and valve body/ separator plate.
I’m having issues with no reverse or low gear, and low line pressure issues in every gear. Then sometimes with a little gas I can get reverse to engage but not everytime. I haven’t driven it yet since I couldn’t reverse it out my garage. Just found this out with the truck in the air.

Is there a way to correctly “convert” the 95 into a 96 internally by just changing the valve body / solenoids/ wiring harness and separator plate?

Builder is not being helpful at all unfortunately so I’m trying to handle it myself so I can get the truck back on the road.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Might want to read this. Not good news, but I’m far from an expert.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Does anyone know how to make a 1995 trans work in a 1996?
I had mine rebuilt for my truck. Turns out it’s a 1995 case and valve body/ separator plate.
I’m having issues with no reverse or low gear, and low line pressure issues in every gear. Then sometimes with a little gas I can get reverse to engage but not everytime. I haven’t driven it yet since I couldn’t reverse it out my garage. Just found this out with the truck in the air.

Is there a way to correctly “convert” the 95 into a 96 internally by just changing the valve body / solenoids/ wiring harness and separator plate?

Builder is not being helpful at all unfortunately so I’m trying to handle it myself so I can get the truck back on the road.
I would think you need to tune your PCM unless the 95 PCM is different, then you may need it. which means pinouts.

Wait my bad, I read that backward.
If you have the 4l60, and you have the mechanical changes "changed" to be kosher for 96, and electrically the wiring has the right solenoids etc and the wiring is in the right place, there is no reason it shouldnt work.

"1996: The 3-2 downshift strategy was changed to an on /off arrangement. The 3-2 downshift solenoid was changed to a 20-31 OHM solenoid, from the previous 10-15 OHM solenoid. The 3-2 control valve was changed to the second design valve. The easiest way to identify the valve is, the second design valve will fall out as soon as the solenoid is removed. The first design has a plug and retaining clip. TCC solenoid remains 10-15 OHMs, which is the same as the '95 arrangement. Has PWM stamped cast in pump. pump is the same as '95. Will not interchange with '95 unless changing 3-2 solenoid, valvebody casting, and seperator plate. Has holes in plate marked in diagram. '94 or '95 computer will not accept the 20-31 OHM 3-2 solenoid and will throw an SES light and throw the transmission into limp mode. Some less knowledgeable builders will swap the solenoid so the computer will see the correct resistance, but the valve itself then causes downshift issues. If only the solenoid is changed, it will result in a 3-2 downshift cut loose. In other words...3-neutral-2 downshift. Speedo moved to passenger side of tail housing, but easily changed."
You must be registered for see images attach

Speed sensor, cooler fittings, and more possibly
heres a good resource:

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
block the 3-2 valve inboard (common 3rd gear leak point) and put a 96 3-2 solenoid in its place OR if it doesn't fit, leave the '95 3-2 solenoid in place and plug the '96 solenoid in and leave it hanging in the pan. the ONLY purpose of the 3-2 solenoid now is to keep the PCM happy and SES light off. no valve body change required.

EDIT: IIRC, you will also need to run the 96+ internal harness. I think the 3-2 solenoid connector is different between 95 & 96+. it has been sometime since I have seen one. I prefer to leave the solenoid in place and disable the code in the tune, but the method above will work just fine and is cheaper if you don't have tuning gear.

FWIW: GM got rid of the the 3-2 solenoid in 2009. a gm engineer i talked to claimed they had wanted to get rid of it since the early 90s, but only took gm 20 years to get rid of it. A similar circuit was used in 700R4 btw.......

Last edited:

HotrodZ06

GMT400 Collector
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure reverse is all mechanical, provided no fluid leaks should go into reverse without the transmission even plugged in. Possibly the pressure regulator solenoid is wrong causing the issue, I would try unplugging the trans and see if it goes into reverse. With it unplugged you should have reverse and third provided it is a mechanically sound transmission. If not I'm sure it is in need of a rebuild.