1994 C3500 350 Spun rod bearing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tanman_2006

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well another change of plans. Got there (after dragging my 32' flat bed 2.5hrs one way) and one has a knock and the other grinds into 3rd and 4th while smoking at start up.

Pulling my tbi like should have from the start and rebuilding it.

If the crank is scored should I order a new crank or just get mine turned? I heard the hardened journals shouldn't be turned.

honkon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I rebuilt my 350 after running it out of oil and destroying a couple of rod journals and bearings. Nothing spun. I tried to get away with new rod bearings but the crank was just too scored up. Only lasted a month or two.
So when I tore it down I had the crank turned. **** me if you can't turn a sbc crank.
Look into the costs of new vs turned. May be cheaper to just buy a new one.

tanman_2006

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know it's highly discouraged on a 6.5L and I assumed the 350 was similar in do's and don'ts.

If the crank is scored and I chose a new crank what brand? Is there a kit with rods, crank, rings, and bearings is should get?

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know it's highly discouraged on a 6.5L and I assumed the 350 was similar in do's and don'ts.

If the crank is scored and I chose a new crank what brand? Is there a kit with rods, crank, rings, and bearings is should get?
That is because of the high compression ratio used on a 6.5. That and as we know with a 6.5 it has crappy metallurgy.

tanman_2006

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The crank is already a weak point but I assumed having a turned crank in a 350 that will be worked might not be a good idea, then again the compression and power band is completely different.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The crank is already a weak point but I assumed having a turned crank in a 350 that will be worked might not be a good idea, then again the compression and power band is completely different.

Not really.

Marine cam has same powerband as stock Vortec just more ass all over.

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So will the machine shop tell me what size oversized bearings to get or will that be up to me?
99% of the time they will tell you and it should be on the paperwork. But for good measure I would ask so you are sure to get the answer you need.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk