Rod bearings??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
Sorry.

You could try some Loctite bearing mount (like red thread locker) on the outside of the bearing shell and pray.

I'd give you an engine if I had one.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the bearing spun, I'd want to pull the engine apart and rebuild it right. Tossing a .010" larger bearing in hopes it accounts for the damage done by the spin is a recipe for another disaster. In your position, I'd look for a running junkyard motor.

Start asking around - somebody you know has a small block they'll let go of cheap. If you have a Pull-A-Part nearby, see if you can catch an engine on special. This weekend my local PAP (not part of the national chain) has long blocks for $120.

mr_josh

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would say, IF you plan on going forward with this plan: at least buy some plastigauge and see what your clearances are with a stock size bearing. I'm guessing they'll be... bad. Then try a +0.010 and you'll see... they're going to be too tight. But you'll know, at least, before you run it, how messed up things are.

GavinJansma

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the bearing spun, I'd want to pull the engine apart and rebuild it right. Tossing a .010" larger bearing in hopes it accounts for the damage done by the spin is a recipe for another disaster. In your position, I'd look for a running junkyard motor.

Start asking around - somebody you know has a small block they'll let go of cheap. If you have a Pull-A-Part nearby, see if you can catch an engine on special. This weekend my local PAP (not part of the national chain) has long blocks for $120.
can I reuse the block and the crank if I take it to machine shop?

GavinJansma

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
so I guess I am convened now that's not a good idea... so now my question is can I rebuild the motor it still starts just knocks bad. and Who would be good to buy a rebuild from I also would want to put a mild cam in it for low torque for towing. I was thinking of the engine tech rebuild kit. but im looking for somthing that will last at least 200k miles

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
can I reuse the block and the crank if I take it to machine shop?
Once the engine is apart. Down to the block, with or without the heads on. Then you take it the the machine shop, and they take precision measurements of everything. At that point, they can tell you if the block can be reused or not.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
You may want to weight your options before paying a machine shop to even inspect it, if its too bad to rebuild your still out that money for their inspection. Crate engines arent too much more than a professional rebuild and they come with a warranty. Since you want a cam and more power you can shop around for the right engine with guaranteed HP and torque numbers.