1994 C3500 350 Spun rod bearing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tanman_2006

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Putting together a parts list slowly.

Ok so been looking at head and intake options. If I am going to either take my tbi heads to get rebuilt, the block to get drilled, or buy stock vortec heads, intake and adapter why not just buy these heads if I'm getting the block drilled either way.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-162108/overview/

Or

https://m.ebay.com/itm/CHEVROLET-35...vr_id=1439264123238&_mwBanner=1&ul_noapp=true

While aluminum heads would probably be nice are they going to be that much better?

As for cam I guess the marine cam is the best workhorse cam? Got a part number?

Does anyone sell a jig so the average guy can drill out the holes in the block?

If I go with a roller cam then is there anything special as far as lifters? Any brand preference? Will I need new push rods? Just use the stock rocker arms?

tanman_2006

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

tanman_2006

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
4 Bolt block, mains look good, rod bearings all look like they've been hot, one rod bearing was toast as well as that journal.

Cylinders cleaned up nice.

Block needs the lifter retainers drilled. Figure get new cam bearings while at the machine shop.

Should I just get a crank? Are my rods ok?

Has anyone used the O Reilly machine shop? There is one 30min from me.

tanman_2006

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

tanman_2006

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Any advice guys?

I know as soon. As soon as I order something and try to figure it out I know someone will tell me I should have done it differently

tanman_2006

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Heck I'm even open to opinions on just buying a new crate engine if I can get one set up for near the same price as buying better heads, new crank, cam, lifters, rods and maybe even pistons.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
So is the marine cam the best option or the cams in the tool box thread?

There are so many different opinions out there it' hard to know what works best.

It was the best option for me. It seems like a lot of guys buying cams don't care about increasing what I consider low end torque. Most aftermarket options, even mild, will give up some of that low end in favor of midrange and top end. Another thing to watch out for is cast core cams. I'm not a fan, billet core all the way here. Once the lobes get to a certain point, your valvetrain starts to sound like a sewing machine too. Some of those variables can't be known until you fire it up because some people just don't care about them. Cam choice is highly subjective.

tanman_2006

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I plan to go with the marine you talked me into it a while back.

I just need to get my bottom end back together and need some one that has experience with different rebuild kits.

If I order a crate engine do I have to do the cam once I get it? Can I get a crate engine with the vortec to tbi heads?