1994 C3500 350 Spun rod bearing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tanman_2006

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well a 1500 gallon fertilizer tank will weigh 15k plus trailer weight and all it's tools and diesel tank for my tractor.

I'm pulling it with a half ton now, I want the one ton back! Haha

Manimal

Banned
Reaction score
I was told a 1500 had 2 bolt main and higher compression

This is not true. A 2 bolt main will work like any other. Having worked in machine shops building engines of all sorts, I have seen more 4 bolt blocks broken then I have 2 bolts(theres 2 more holes drilled in each main saddle), not saying the 4 bolts are not good, but there is nothing wrong with a 2 bolt block. And I have never seen a difference between a 1/2t engine and a 1t engine as far as compression goes. The major differences in them were the heads. "SOME" HD engines had smaller intake valves and sodium filled exhaust valves.
So if you find a 5.7 in good running condition, dont be too worried about the main bolt thing.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
This is not true. A 2 bolt main will work like any other. Having worked in machine shops building engines of all sorts, I have seen more 4 bolt blocks broken then I have 2 bolts(theres 2 more holes drilled in each main saddle), not saying the 4 bolts are not good, but there is nothing wrong with a 2 bolt block. And I have never seen a difference between a 1/2t engine and a 1t engine as far as compression goes. The major differences in them were the heads. "SOME" HD engines had smaller intake valves and sodium filled exhaust valves.
So if you find a 5.7 in good running condition, dont be too worried about the main bolt thing.

4 bolts blocks came in 8600+ GVW trucks. HD trucks get beat on per capita more than light duty so it's not weird to me that you see more of them. The 4 bolt blocks have around 8.5:1 compression and the 2 bolt was closer to 9.5. This is only in reference to the TBI engines.

Manimal

Banned
Reaction score
I would like to see where GM produced a 9.5:1 compression truck engine..small block, not vortec.

Manimal

Banned
Reaction score
that is NOT the same engine that the factory put into trucks. Thats a crate motor, look at the GM data for the factory engines that were put into the trucks. Thats a replacement...sorry

Manimal

Banned
Reaction score
OK, youre right about the compression, but the short blocks are EXACTLY identical....except for the number of main bolts. If you have heads with a casting # 191, you will have 76cc and yield a 8.5:1 and if you have heads with a casting # 193 you will have 64cc and will yield 9.25.

tanman_2006

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got a 110k mile engine out of the '94 2 door Tahoe for $500.

I plan to do the oil pan, rear main seal, and intake gasket while it's out. I will also do the tbi mods (no cruise on my truck so that will be easy).

Now that there was a significant amount of $ saved vs a rebuild a cam swap is tempting