1994 5.7 STRANGEST ISSUE EVER

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

socool9004

Reaction score
Hey all,

Long time owner first time poster. I have a 1994 Suburban, with 5.7 350. Car has 160k miles on it, and really runs solid.... Until recently.

Last year, while driving, I approached a signal and as I went to stop, the truck had shut off. I tried to crank it over again, and got nothing. I put my hazards on a popped the hood, checked all necessary components, got back in and the truck fired right back up and I went on my way.

This last August the truck did the same thing, again at night, totally random, car died, pulled over, would crank but not turn over. I popped hood, inspected everything, tried to start it again and it fired up and on I went, incredibly confused.

Finally this past weekend, I was out helping a friend move his truck, his battery is dead. So I unplugged my battery, put it in his truck, fired it up, and moved the blazer.

I returned the battery to my Suburban and went on my way..... or so I thought.

The stalling issue came back almost immediately after I left, in full force! The car is stalling randomly all the time now, here's what i've gathered.

First thing I did was replace IAC, this did nothing.
Replaced Fuel Filter, also nothing.

The truck will always fire right up when its cold.

When driving theres no warning lights, no hesitation, and no rough idle.

The problem isn't at all consistent, although it seems to be getting worse.

I can be driving, at say 40MPH, then I take my foot off the gas and coast, as the rpms decrease the truck sometimes just dies when it gets around 300.

When it dies, I can't get it to turn on again. The truck will crank all day, it will crank and crank and crank but not turnover. Then after letting it sit for a few minutes, and trying to figure out what the hell is going on. I'll try to turn it over, and it'll fire right back up; like nothing happened.

I have noticed that if I put the truck in neutral as I'm slowing down, stopped, or coasting, it won't die, and everything stays normal. I might also add that when the truck dies, it makes no difference if I'm in park or neutral when trying to start it again.

Any insight or troubleshooting tips would be amazing.

socool9004

Reaction score
Shouldn't it either work or not work though? And why does Neutral make a difference on when the truck stalls? Thanks for the quick reply!

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
no they can mess up intermittently after setting for a few minutes (cooling off) it starts again.

socool9004

Reaction score
Anyway to test it to know for sure? It was just so weird that the issue was gone for 8 months returned after removing and reinstalling the battery.

glfirefighter144

Whoa Black Betty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most auto stores should be able too, I know most local auto zones here can others should as well

Replaced my ICM in my 98 couple years ago, issue is back now,( knowed I should have bought ac delco):banghead:

Sent from my DROID RAZR M using Tapatalk 2

socool9004

Reaction score
I'm gonna pull the ICM today and take it to Autozone and report back. One other thing I noticed is that cold weather seems to affect it as well, shouldn't it be the opposite? I'm out in California where "Cold" is when it gets down into the 50's....

Werterion

Reaction score
I'm gonna pull the ICM today and take it to Autozone and report back. One other thing I noticed is that cold weather seems to affect it as well, shouldn't it be the opposite? I'm out in California where "Cold" is when it gets down into the 50's....
start with the icm, its not so much the cold, look at the humidity in the air at the time and i'm betting that its the real culprit behind the things you notice when its "cold" i've noticed that gm electronics especially do wacky things when they are failing in regards to ambient humidity in the air. yet, still icm is likely cause so work through the list lol (i spurn your cold after just coming out of a 17 day extreme cold weather warning here in ontario canada -20C - -27C before wind chill added to it....)

socool9004

Reaction score
All fixed, Car finally threw a code pointing to the fuel relay, fixed that and it's been perfect ever since.