1993 Shortbox Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RCSB_jonny

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Slow and steady...

Took December off, and was sick for a chunk of January, but I'm a few steps farther.

Front suspension, steering. and brakes are all done, other than torquing up the control arm bolts once it's on the ground. All new calipers, braided hoses, rotors/pads:

You must be registered for see images attach

Onto the rear brakes. They were pretty cruddy. There's a second steel lip that acts as dust/water shield on the inside of the rotor rim. One side was totally gone, and the other side was so rotted/flimsy that I got rid of that one too.

They cleaned up pretty good. I got what I could with a wire wheel/brush, then rust converter, primed and painted (forgot photos for that part).

Unfortunately, two of the wheel cylinder mounting bolts snapped when I took them off. Anyone know what size they are? I think was a 10mm head but they could have been rust-swollen 3/8ths. I also need new rubber grommets for the oval holes in the backing plate. LMC has both but the shipping is just stupid expensive, hoping I can find grommets in the trailer parts section.

Also, annoyingly, the hardware kit only comes with 2 out of 3 springs, omitting the "actuator spring" for the adjuster lever. Mine aren't broken or anything, but they are rusty and it's pretty thin wire. I can't find the spring by itself, just as part of an adjuster replacement kit... I was cleaning up my parts and they say Made in Canada on them, I don't really plan on replacing them with new metal from who knows where. Maybe I'll just bite the bullet on the new kits just for the springs :rolleyes:

johnckhall

GO DAWGS!!!
Reaction score
Amazing results since posts #21-23! I'm currently redoing all the framework and underside on my truck as well. Your work certainly sets the bar high!

RCSB_jonny

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Amazing results since posts #21-23! I'm currently redoing all the framework and underside on my truck as well. Your work certainly sets the bar high!

Thanks! It's really starting to feel like it's getting somewhere.

I'm hoping within the next month to have it running/driving/stopping again. Then I'll take it to the shop in town to get an alignment and list of what I need to do in order to pass safety. That will guide what I do next, the idea is to get it licensed so I can drive it while continuing to work on other things.

Shot of the painted backing plates:

I got the wheel cylinders mounted using one old bolt each for now. Going to the hardware store tonight to try to find a match, I think it's a M6 x 12. Also got the rear hard lines in, and the braided line to the frame. I can't for the life of me find the bracket that suspends the brake lines off the frame, so I'm going to try to get off work early to go get one from the junk yard. (or maybe not, as I look out the window at the snow and freezing rain pelting down...)

It kinda sucks seeing some of the new stuff I've put on already rusting before I've even finished it, but that's what happens when it takes 2 and a half years in an open garage... I keep a can of spray paint handy and try to clean up / paint any spots I see as I go along.

Got to work on the drum hardware - I decided I will reuse that one spring, I cleaned it up and hit it with the rust converter. I managed to keep one side assembled to use use as a guide to put the new parts together, then that will be the guide to do the second side.