1993 Shortbox Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RCSB_jonny

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi guys, I posted in the intro section but didn't think I would get to starting a build thread for a while. The original plan was to store the truck at my dad's farm and work on it starting next year when I had more funds. Well, I couldn't help myself and tore into it a bit this weekend, so figured I might as well start documenting it.

The starting point:
You must be registered for see images attach

1993 Sierra 1500 SLE 4x4, 5.7L stepside

The vision:

Converting to a Chevy-badged fleetside.

I'll say this outright from the start, I have essentially no experience working on vehicles, beyond changing my tires. So it will very much be a learn-as-I-go process. I'll have to buy most of the needed tools as I need them, and I'll be working in my driveway. So far I've picked up a corded impact gun, impact socket set that has already proven inadequate, and a ratchet/socket set. I already have wrenches and screwdrivers. I've done quite a bit of woodworking so some general "working on stuff" knowhow.

The truck is driveable, in that we drove it the two hours home. Engine and trans felt solid. There are a number of issues that need to be fixed in order for it to be safetied. Coolant leak, exhaust leak, loose steering linkage, oil pan is leaking. Those are all things that can be replaced, and I'm not relying on this for transportation at all, so I'll get to them in due time.

Being a Canadian truck, my first concern is rust. I poked around as best as I could underneath, and couldn't find any soft spots although there is a lot of what I would call "heavy flaking" I took the bed off this Friday night and today went all over the rear with a hammer. It all seems to be solid steel beneath the flakes. This photo shows it pretty well on the rear cross beam, halfway through working it over with the hammer:

So my current plan of attack is to "rebuild" most of the back end while the box is off. I don't really have the money, space, or really inclination, to do a full "restoration" and strip the whole truck down all the way to the frame. So I'm thinking:
- unbolt anything that has bolts. Everything steel that still seems solid take to get sandblasted, replace if it seems iffy. Is anything a "must replace"?
-Probably going to leave anything riveted? That might change if some areas are seeming hard to get to though. Is there anything wrong with just replacing them with bolts?
- Wire wheel/scrape/grind etc the rear portion of the frame
-Paint with some sort of coating, not sure yet on POR15 or epoxy primer or something else. Going to call my Sherwin Williams rep at work this week and see what he has to say. I can't really spray here, so likely a brushed solution.
-Replace leaf springs, bushings, fuel pump, brake lines.... basically anything that I can while I'm here.

IF I'm lucky, I can get the rear end done by winter. At that point I will likely take it to store at the farm until spring. At that point I'll start on the front end suspension, replacing/fixing body panels, etc. I need to probably replace at least one panel and one door, I have a few potential candidates I saw at the scrapyard this weekend.

RCSB_jonny

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been making some slow progress.

I think I've finally got the hang of getting rivets out. Combination of zipcut/grinding, cold chisels, and punches. If I had any doubts about how solid the steel is, I don't anymore. By my count there are 21 to go, lol. Need to find a way to get the front of the leaf springs off - impact gun did absolutely nothing, and my cutting discs can't reach far enough in between the hanger and bushing to cut the bolt. We got the gas tank mostly dropped, but can't actually move it out of place until we get the front support off the frame. Should I just go ahead and replace the tank while i'm here or should the old one be good to keep using?

Suburban1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've been making some slow progress.

I think I've finally got the hang of getting rivets out. Combination of zipcut/grinding, cold chisels, and punches. If I had any doubts about how solid the steel is, I don't anymore. By my count there are 21 to go, lol. Need to find a way to get the front of the leaf springs off - impact gun did absolutely nothing, and my cutting discs can't reach far enough in between the hanger and bushing to cut the bolt. We got the gas tank mostly dropped, but can't actually move it out of place until we get the front support off the frame. Should I just go ahead and replace the tank while i'm here or should the old one be good to keep using?

I would replace the fuel pump and sender for good measure. That's what I do with every pickup I get. Just in case the orignal one fails, you won't have to remove the bed a 2nd time. And might as well replace the tank, too if you are going to make the frame look pretty.

RCSB_jonny

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would replace the fuel pump and sender for good measure. That's what I do with every pickup I get. Just in case the orignal one fails, you won't have to remove the bed a 2nd time. And might as well replace the tank, too if you are going to make the frame look pretty.

Yep those are all on the list! An ever - growing and expensive list lol.

Looking at brake line stuff on spare time at work. If I'm replacing the whole line, does it matter what diameter? I think I read that it's a mix of 3/16 and 1/4, but I'd rather just buy one roll of NiCopp.

Suburban1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yep those are all on the list! An ever - growing and expensive list lol.

Looking at brake line stuff on spare time at work. If I'm replacing the whole line, does it matter what diameter? I think I read that it's a mix of 3/16 and 1/4, but I'd rather just buy one roll of NiCopp.
I havent done brake lines on a truck yet so I can't tell you for sure. You can also get a whole set of stainless lines pre-bent and ready to go with fittings...i think it was Rock Auto but I am not sure

98BlackSierra

Lifelong Chevy Owner
Reaction score
While you’re down there and have easy access, I’d replace all the fuel lines, new tank, straps, and sending unit since you’ll have to get a new filler neck for the fleet side bed. I’m going to look forward to updates with this one.

I was the same way when I started working on my dads old truck. I used YouTube a lot and google is your friend. Good luck!!

RCSB_jonny

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
While you’re down there and have easy access, I’d replace all the fuel lines, new tank, straps, and sending unit since you’ll have to get a new filler neck for the fleet side bed. I’m going to look forward to updates with this one.

Glad to know I'm not way off base wanting to replace everything. :D

Looking at parts on Rock Auto, I'm a little confused between pump/sending unit/housing assembly. DELPHI HP10000 {#19111396, 25028499, 25028611} seems to be a combo of the pump and SU together for $174, but then the Delphi pump is $47 and they don't even list a SU by Delhpi, the ACDelco one is $85. Maybe there's other bits that are part of that "housing assembly"? Then there's the whole Delco/Delphi/other aftermarket decisions to make....

I'm starting to further plan out this rear end stage into smaller phases. Frame+suspension first, followed by brake lines etc while the gas tank is out of the way, then finally fuel system before getting a bed put back on. Deciding whether I spend the money on the Little Shop rear disc conversion, just do new drum setup, or something else.

I was the same way when I started working on my dads old truck. I used YouTube a lot and google is your friend. Good luck!!

Thanks! I learned how to build electric guitars and brew beer just from the internet as well. Forums like this really are the key, as well a videos to get the visuals.

RCSB_jonny

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Finally got everything stripped off the frame rails. Spent a good chunk of time yesterday grinding off rust. Experimented with flapper discs, cup-style wire wheel, and vertical style wire wheel. I found the flapper left the best finish but the vertical wire actually got into the pits the best, so I stuck with that. I'll go over with the sander just knock off the fresh rust once my paint gets here.

Also spent some time on my brother's truck - needed new sway bar links.

RCSB_jonny

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
A small update. Got the back end cleaned up and painted. There are lots of good option out there, I went with Eastwood's system of Rust Encapsulator Platinum and Extreme Chassis Black. The encapsulator is silver, and was easy to brush on with good coverage. The chassis black was much thinner and messier, but I got the hang of it. I did 3 coats.

New parts are on the way, and all the brackets are at the sandblaster getting prepped for powdercoating. The aim is to get it put back together enough to move, so I can get it put away for winter.