1993 gmc sierra 2500 5.0L any good?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just that service truck bed/box I bed is probably pushing the 7200# GVWR
Up here, thats a maybe maybe 800 dollar truck.
Around here, that's a $4000 truck. GVWR? Oklahoma doesn't care. Just don't go hauling your grain hopper with it. One of my friends got ticketed for that, but the ticket was less than the money he was going to lose if he didn't.

R422b

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Around here, that's a $4000 truck. GVWR? Oklahoma doesn't care. Just don't go hauling your grain hopper with it. One of my friends got ticketed for that, but the ticket was less than the money he was going to lose if he didn't.
So true. I need to go back to California and get a cheap truck because it would be in much better shape than anything here for less money.

Talking about GMT400s using Tapatalk

DavidAlan

Reaction score
For all you kids out there, I love my old ,rusted,305 powered 92 Chevy heavy half ton, I haul things most humans are afraid to hold on too, oh wait, you didn't mean Zombies did you? Funny how so many opinions of the Motor, it like the 350 have many same features, I will never buy new again, and if want a good motor, make sure its remanufactured, not just rebuilt.
I sit here wonder if you want all these features, buy a brand new truck, get what you want and use it for what it is built for.

R422b

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For all you kids out there, I love my old ,rusted,305 powered 92 Chevy heavy half ton, I haul things most humans are afraid to hold on too, oh wait, you didn't mean Zombies did you? Funny how so many opinions of the Motor, it like the 350 have many same features, I will never buy new again, and if want a good motor, make sure its remanufactured, not just rebuilt.
I sit here wonder if you want all these features, buy a brand new truck, get what you want and use it for what it is built for.
Yeah the 5.0 doesn't bother me. It is still a bullet proof sbc.

ThundahBeagle

Reaction score
I'm no expert but that truck looks like it has been the victim of a deluge. Kinda looks like the silt left behind after the water retreated.

Big fan of the GMT 400's but u cant believe this would go for very much or last very long.

,,'93 should be TBI

1989GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A big part of why my truck weighs so much is that it is a F350 v10 [emoji90]
That is also why I need something new.

I had a C3500 with a identical box and cab when I was running service. I am a electrician. The truck was heavy as hell. I had a 3 ton Jack at the time and i could only lift one side at a time. Mine was a 2000 with a 350 Vortec.
Personally I would look for something newer in better shape and 1 ton. At the weight you are carrying don’t bother with a 3/4 ton.

personally...I would keep your V10. Pull the bed and install a service body. I wouldn’t buy a older truck like that fir a service or work truck. You can get the service body cheap if that’s what you need. Some guys just put a service shell cap on the stock bed. I don’t know what your trade is so I can’t give you a suggestion on that option too much.

the V10 is really a good solid motor. I’ve seen plenty with over 300,000 miles still ticking. There is a in truck fix fir the stripped spark plug holes defect. The bottom ends are not a issue. If you can I would rather fix the V10 over buying a almost 30 year old service truck that looks like it’s been hammered on. And the 305 is gonna be weak feeling because of the overloaded weight. You’re asking a 180 hp 30 year old engine to pull 4 tons around .

Look for a wrecked E250 v10 van. Or a used v10. I Parted out a F350 and sold the good short block for $200. Heads were $150 each. The transmission 600.

Last edited:

R422b

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had a C3500 with a identical box and cab when I was running service. I am a electrician. The truck was heavy as hell. I had a 3 ton Jack at the time and i could only lift one side at a time. Mine was a 2000 with a 350 Vortec.
Personally I would look for something newer in better shape and 1 ton. At the weight you are carrying don’t bother with a 3/4 ton.

personally...I would keep your V10. Pull the bed and install a service body. I wouldn’t buy a older truck like that fir a service or work truck. You can get the service body cheap if that’s what you need. Some guys just put a service shell cap on the stock bed. I don’t know what your trade is so I can’t give you a suggestion on that option too much.

the V10 is really a good solid motor. I’ve seen plenty with over 300,000 miles still ticking. There is a in truck fix fir the stripped spark plug holes defect. The bottom ends are not a issue. If you can I would rather fix the V10 over buying a almost 30 year old service truck that looks like it’s been hammered on. And the 305 is gonna be weak feeling because of the overloaded weight. You’re asking a 180 hp 30 year old engine to pull 4 tons around .

Look for a wrecked E250 v10 van. Or a used v10. I Parted out a F350 and sold the good short block for $200. Heads were $150 each. The transmission 600.
My ford has a single cab with a 9' Scelzi service bed so if I find a good truck I can swap the bed.
The problem is that it needs a motor, transmission and air conditioning. That in new parts cost is right about $10,000.
I believe some lifters and or valve springs broke but I don't care enough to find out for sure because I can't afford the transmission alone.
I am really just in a bind until I can save some money.

1989GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My ford has a single cab with a 9' Scelzi service bed so if I find a good truck I can swap the bed.
The problem is that it needs a motor, transmission and air conditioning. That in new parts cost is right about $10,000.
I believe some lifters and or valve springs broke but I don't care enough to find out for sure because I can't afford the transmission alone.
I am really just in a bind until I can save some money.

ok I get it. Why do you feel you need new parts. Plenty of junkyards selling good motors sometimes with a warranty for low prices. I sold a Ford reman 4R100 for $600. With the TC.
There is a guy on a Ford forum who put a step by step instruction post on how to rebuild a 4R100. Literally step by step.

Even in your situation I would still not buy a truck that old regardless of brand. 1993 anything is gonna be either expensive cause it’s a well maintained good truck or it’s gonna need a ton of work to make it reliable much less decent looking. You’re gonna drop 2/3/4k in a new truck with unknown history, repair and maintenance...and then possibly have to shell another 1/2/3/4k in repairs.....I mean how do you know that say you buy this truck for $1000 and now you drive it and the trans craps out of the engine breaks. Now you’re back to square one fixing a even older truck. I’m not being brand specific here. I just feel that in the long run buying such old truck you’re asking for a headache.

a while back I listed my 1999 F250 diesel for sale and I had a ton of dumbtards offering me some lowball prices. After just losing my mind between the bs’ers, flippers, weirdos and strange people I just decided to keep the truck.
Here is one of my “old” trucks. Nobody is gonna get rid of a good running truck cheap.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

R422b

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ok I get it. Why do you feel you need new parts. Plenty of junkyards selling good motors sometimes with a warranty for low prices. I sold a Ford reman 4R100 for $600. With the TC.
There is a guy on a Ford forum who put a step by step instruction post on how to rebuild a 4R100. Literally step by step.

Even in your situation I would still not buy a truck that old regardless of brand. 1993 anything is gonna be either expensive cause it’s a well maintained good truck or it’s gonna need a ton of work to make it reliable much less decent looking.

a while back I listed my 1999 F250 diesel for sale and I had a ton of dumbtards offering me some lowball prices. After just losing my mind between the bs’ers, flippers, weirdos and strange people I just decided to keep the truck.
Here is one of my “old” trucks

You must be registered for see images attach
I called all the local yards and there was not one single v10 or transmission available. Also I really need to be driving it not working on it.
I don't think I will be able to get anything until I can afford $10,000 +