1992 K1500 crate motor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dale Greb

Reaction score
Sorry they're blurry...slap it in or no way? Brand new crate motor
You must be registered for see images attach

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that sucks.

Some light surface rust on the crank counterweights doesn't really bother me. I'm not saying I like it. Loose rust anywhere that could flake-off and enter the oil WOULD bother me.

"I" would put a wire brush against all that rust, and remove anything that flakes off easily. And that oil pump would come off, apart, and the pressure relief system would come apart for inspection. It may be that the pump is totaled, if the pressure relief valve or it's bore is damaged; the gear pocket or the gear teeth damaged.

As said...look at the cylinder walls. Look in the intake and exhaust ports, too.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looks really odd. like it been submerged and never cleaned out or dis-assembled. rods look aftermarket-ish.Never saw oem rods so squared off where the bolts run through them. Where did you source this from?

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Send pics to the seller and ask what they're willing to do. That's garbage if you paid more than half price.

If I had to get it running ASAP, I'd risk it. Otherwise that thing's coming apart.

Dale Greb

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies everyone. Heres the story. Bought a 92 k1500 4x4 automatic, did a crate motor and 5 speed swap. motor wasn't properly covered and it was stored outdoors for about a month. Go to put the motor in the truck, took the oil drain plug out and out comes tons of water. Open the pan up and found the rust. At this point, we said f it, clean it best we can, throw it in and see what happens. So far got 450 miles on it and purs like a kitten. Perfect temp and oil pressure. Although on a cold start, it does have a slight vibration on the pan right under the oil pump and there's a whirring sound. Maybe lifter sounds too? Not sure. I'm expecting catastrophic failure any second but so far it's been great. I'll change the oil at 1000 and go from there.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why waste our time by posting pictures and asking for advice if you've already installed it?

"slap it in or no way?" makes it sound like you haven't put it in yet. Deceptive.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies everyone. Heres the story. Bought a 92 k1500 4x4 automatic, did a crate motor and 5 speed swap. motor wasn't properly covered and it was stored outdoors for about a month. Go to put the motor in the truck, took the oil drain plug out and out comes tons of water. Open the pan up and found the rust. At this point, we said f it, clean it best we can, throw it in and see what happens. So far got 450 miles on it and purs like a kitten. Perfect temp and oil pressure. Although on a cold start, it does have a slight vibration on the pan right under the oil pump and there's a whirring sound. Maybe lifter sounds too? Not sure. I'm expecting catastrophic failure any second but so far it's been great. I'll change the oil at 1000 and go from there.
you could have stated that to begin with instead of wasting everyone's time.