1990 C1500 700r4 Not shifting past second gear.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

uzgaro

Reaction score
New guy here. So first thing I noticed is that the truck would slip or would hold revs when doing left turns while revving to get back up to speed. Then on a hill the transmission decided it was not going to shift past second gear. No other issues before. No slipping other than the “slipping” while cornering. I read somewhere it could be the speed sensor on and to try that first but I wanted to ask wether anyone has had any similar issues and if I’m just wasting my time buying the speed sensor and should just start looking into getting a new one or rebuilding it. Thanks in advance for the help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dannyboy0225

Reaction score
Yes it could be. From what it sounds like is your in need of a rebuild for your trans. First and second gear are part of one pack and third and overdrive are on the second one. It’s a common issue with the tv controlled trans.

uzgaro

Reaction score
Yes it could be. From what it sounds like is your in need of a rebuild for your trans. First and second gear are part of one pack and third and overdrive are on the second one. It’s a common issue with the tv controlled trans.

Yes that’s what I was fearing. I’m gonna check on the cable first and fluids tomorrow.

Outlaw910

Reaction score
New guy here. So first thing I noticed is that the truck would slip or would hold revs when doing left turns while revving to get back up to speed. Then on a hill the transmission decided it was not going to shift past second gear. No other issues before. No slipping other than the “slipping” while cornering. I read somewhere it could be the speed sensor on and to try that first but I wanted to ask wether anyone has had any similar issues and if I’m just wasting my time buying the speed sensor and should just start looking into getting a new one or rebuilding it. Thanks in advance for the help

Mine took a crap about two weeks ago. It did the same thing. But my fluid was black. A friend of mine rebuilt it for me.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's been a few years since I've done any serious work or thought on a 700, and I don't have an apply chart handy, but would a bad governor or servo prevent a 2-3 shift? Those are replaceable without a full rebuild.

Edit: Anybody have a TH700R4 manual in .pdf format?

DavidAlan

Reaction score
I know most out rather build there own tranny,and I say go for it,or if know a reputable Tranny shop,then also go for it,but am a guy who has delt with all,and what will tell ya is simple,make sure they really do update the tranny,not just say they did,cause alot of issues are from past mistakes when dang thing was built at factory,I know of many rebuild places that actually do good work,with a real warranty,instead of 12/12's ,those are not good places to go too,You need the ones that actually back there work,and in writing to.

uzgaro

Reaction score
It's been a few years since I've done any serious work or thought on a 700, and I don't have an apply chart handy, but would a bad governor or servo prevent a 2-3 shift? Those are replaceable without a full rebuild.

Edit: Anybody have a TH700R4 manual in .pdf format?

Yes if anyone has a 700r4 manual it would be greatly appreciated.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score