1989 V2500 Chevy Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wasn't nothing on the driver side at least, at least not as far as I could reach. The passenger side was a ***** because of the vacuum actuator and hwatnots in there blocking access, not to mention that I couldn't even get to that side of the truck, so can't say for sure, but I doubt it could be much worse than the driver side
The actual drains are on the firewall, however they do drain from both sides of cowl into the firewall drains.

Last edited:

Jermu

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've been putting off working on the old rig for a while now, been mostly just waiting for the documents to come swinging on in from my door but no luck yet. They probably haven't even sent them yet... So I set off to do some cleaning because she is still covered in grime on the inside and after a few hours of scrubbing with an old toothbrush, a scrub daddy, diluted degreaser and the interior wipes I got last year, it felt like I achieved nothing. Which is really just a testament to how damn dirty it is.

You must be registered for see images attach

This panel was the one that showed the most progress, and I got it cleaned from under the belt too, sure was a joy to find that the panel was still blue under all that... Sadly this is really all the progress that shows, most all else became cleaner, but it's so badly stained you can't really see a difference.

The other place that showed even the slightest bit of change was the steering wheel, went to town on them stitches with the toothbrush, but this is really the best I got. Better than nothing I guess, and hell, it is a really worn wheel, but not that bad when you take the ODO into account. At 487 942 kilometers you could expect it to be worn through, so I guess I'll pipe it down and take it :Big Laugh:

The one thing that annoys me more than the fact this car has never ever been cleaned during it's lifetime, is the fact that the first owner was a smoker. And far as I can guess from the stories, is he had this vehicle for a hefty ~26 years.

There wasn't no cleaning that. Freely translated "How could you possibly tell that someone smoked in the vehicle for a few decades? Apart from the full ashtray and a steady layer of yellowy greasy substance? Not to mention that fact that ain't nobody cleaned this thing since driving it out the dealership..."

Oh and this rag was bright green when I started

I sure have some serious work cut out for me...

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
I've been putting off working on the old rig for a while now, been mostly just waiting for the documents to come swinging on in from my door but no luck yet. They probably haven't even sent them yet... So I set off to do some cleaning because she is still covered in grime on the inside and after a few hours of scrubbing with an old toothbrush, a scrub daddy, diluted degreaser and the interior wipes I got last year, it felt like I achieved nothing. Which is really just a testament to how damn dirty it is.

This panel was the one that showed the most progress, and I got it cleaned from under the belt too, sure was a joy to find that the panel was still blue under all that... Sadly this is really all the progress that shows, most all else became cleaner, but it's so badly stained you can't really see a difference.

The other place that showed even the slightest bit of change was the steering wheel, went to town on them stitches with the toothbrush, but this is really the best I got. Better than nothing I guess, and hell, it is a really worn wheel, but not that bad when you take the ODO into account. At 487 942 kilometers you could expect it to be worn through, so I guess I'll pipe it down and take it :Big Laugh:

The one thing that annoys me more than the fact this car has never ever been cleaned during it's lifetime, is the fact that the first owner was a smoker. And far as I can guess from the stories, is he had this vehicle for a hefty ~26 years.

There wasn't no cleaning that. Freely translated "How could you possibly tell that someone smoked in the vehicle for a few decades? Apart from the full ashtray and a steady layer of yellowy greasy substance? Not to mention that fact that ain't nobody cleaned this thing since driving it out the dealership..."

Oh and this rag was bright green when I started

I sure have some serious work cut out for me...
:doublepuke:

Keep at it. Several large containers of elbow grease (hard work) and several dozen toothbrushes (start in the hard to get at parts) and it will go. Take before and after pictures. They will keep you motivated.

TCBRacer77

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeeeah...

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel but it sure looks dim still :Big Laugh:
I have found really useful techniques by watching the detail geek on YouTube, a drill brush, rental extractor from Home Depot, and a steam cleaner can absolutely transform the worst interiors. He has links in the description of his videos of what tools he uses. Most of the cars he cleans I personally would have just replaced the interior, but his methods turn it around into almost new condition. Not only that but it could help not only with physical filth but also being sanitary as well. Just thought I’d pass along the info! I pulled a couple bucket seats for my truck from the junkyard and they were absolutely disgusting, after using methods I learned from the detail geeks videos I could probably sell these seats as “very good” condition for a ton of money lol

Jermu

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have found really useful techniques by watching the detail geek on YouTube, a drill brush, rental extractor from Home Depot, and a steam cleaner can absolutely transform the worst interiors. He has links in the description of his videos of what tools he uses. Most of the cars he cleans I personally would have just replaced the interior, but his methods turn it around into almost new condition. Not only that but it could help not only with physical filth but also being sanitary as well. Just thought I’d pass along the info! I pulled a couple bucket seats for my truck from the junkyard and they were absolutely disgusting, after using methods I learned from the detail geeks videos I could probably sell these seats as “very good” condition for a ton of money lol
Yea I've seen some of those drill brush and washervacuum thingy videos and I've been toying with the idea on the floormats, could just pull them out one by one and let 'em dry in the garage after I get the truck out. Now the rear seat was pristine and only had a little dust which got solved already with a vacuum, but the front seats are pretty bad, but I dunno. The drivers buckets frame is ****** already and we've been planning on swapping in a bench seat anyway so I kinda don't see a point in wasting time on the front seats, even though they're pretty dirty, but the washervacuumathingydoodad handled the worst of it anyway already... But Imma check them videos you suggested and try to find one of those drill brushes

TCBRacer77

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yea I've seen some of those drill brush and washervacuum thingy videos and I've been toying with the idea on the floormats, could just pull them out one by one and let 'em dry in the garage after I get the truck out. Now the rear seat was pristine and only had a little dust which got solved already with a vacuum, but the front seats are pretty bad, but I dunno. The drivers buckets frame is ****** already and we've been planning on swapping in a bench seat anyway so I kinda don't see a point in wasting time on the front seats, even though they're pretty dirty, but the washervacuumathingydoodad handled the worst of it anyway already... But Imma check them videos you suggested and try to find one of those drill brushes
Yes! And what might do wonders for you is the steam cleaner, he uses it for the plastics and dash and door panels etc. you would be amazed to see how much it can remove. I have a bench seat for sale if interested lol

Jermu

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes! And what might do wonders for you is the steam cleaner, he uses it for the plastics and dash and door panels etc. you would be amazed to see how much it can remove. I have a bench seat for sale if interested lol
Otherwise I would be very much interested, but I've got a funny feeling the transport costs for a bench seat could rise a little high on the way over from the United states to Finland :anitoof: So we're gonna try and source that locally first, but thank you for the gesture!

Oh and also I'm hella broke atm, still haven't got the other truck sold :Big Laugh::bawl:

Jermu

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Y'all. This is it. THIS IS IT! She's now officially a light duty truck instead of a van! The single A4 holding some netherlanders autograph that cost me 350€ and took 8 weeks to arrive, has arrived and I took it to the local DMV equivalient to have her re-registered for the correct weight class! Boom, 500kg's more payload and 660€ off the yearly tax with a couple bleep bloops on a computer :Big Laugh: Swapped the OG seats in for the last time straigth away after that, off with them plywood pieces of feces. Then I got a surprise when changing the insurance because the vehicle class changed - the insurance more than doubled, just like that... :Angry: Called around and changed the company, now the best deal I got was for a little over 600€ a year with wildlife, theft, fire and vandalism protection. As a van, the same **** but with windshield, pet's, luggage and legal protection and some other little funny things was 360€ a year... Welp, Still saving about 400€ a year courtesy of the drop in taxes

On another note, spot the fault:

Took a peek under the hood one night coming home from work, because something under there had been squealing like their ****** integrity had just been repeatedly violated with a telephone pole, without lube, for a day or so. Apparently the harmonic balancer wiggling about has slowly been loosening the alternator so much the damn belt jumped inside out :Big Laugh: I'm just surprised it hadn't yet jumped off. So I tightened it back up and noticed the other belts were a little loose as well, although that's my own fault, They hadn't loosened, I just didn't get them adequately tensioned when working on them the last time. So I tightened them too and everything was fine again. Then a few days later the alternator went and did it again. On the road this time, but I just turned it around and snugged it back up so it's fine again.

Also on the re-registering, light duty trucks have to have at least 6 cargo tie-downs, so I installed those one day and found some unpleasanties under the rug in the rear:

****'s slowly rotting away. Also what's weird is that that crack in a bump there is along the edge of a body support rail. Anyway, after the first two tie-downs, I took the liberty of first puncturing and opening the rust bubbles with a steel brush, and then eating off the rust with I think a 120grit sandpaper and spraid some black primer on the area. That shoud at least slow down the process if nothing else. Didn't take any pics of that, but the finished tie-downs came out like so:

Well, the rearmost two anyway. I also plan on using the same method of rust banishment on the outside of the truck, already started on the barn doors lowest jamb area whatever it's called, as is visible from the next picture. That was only the beginning though, I've now done just about the whole lenght. But with the pic I deliver a question; Is the edge supposed to look like that? It's almost as if someone patched the area, kinda shittily, but anyway? I wouldn't be surprised if it was factory work, but I dunno, the lower panel almost looks like a different grade of steel...

Now I'm just going to focus on the worst bits of rust, it's going to be ugly but you gotta do what you gotta do. Maybe I'll buy white primer too and make this thing a dalmatian with all them spots. Or a cow :anitoof: But that's all I can do for now, as long as the GMT400 remains unsold.