14 Bolt SF 5 Lug Disc Brake Conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DamHoodlum

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
First off, this is Not a cheap conversion, you dont have to do everything I did. You would be better off to find an 454SS Rear but as we all know are hard to find. I did get a price on a complete bolt in 9” Rear with disc brakes, posi and my choice of gear for $2150 BUT I just can’t put NO FORD Parts on my Chevy truck. Yes I know the 9” is virtually indestructible as I have used them in my circle track days but I just didn’t want to go this route although I didn’t realize I would spend as much money as I did. but feel like I have a rear axle that will stand up to any horsepower I will ever have.

I changed out the factory G80unit for a Eaton Clutch Style Posi Unit, I felt like this would be better for drag racing and burnouts. Also Installed New Timken bearings/races for the carrier, pinion & axles bearings. I had to use 6 degree steel shims to get my pinion angle correct as well as new leaf spring pins. You can swap out your 10 bolt yoke and skip the conversion U joint. I had to shorten my driveshaft 1” and installed new Spicer Ujoints. I did keep the original GM 3:73 gear as I do drive it often

You must be registered for see images attach

I had to have the original 6 Lug axles redrilled to the 5x5 pattern as well as having the diameter of the axles turned down to go inside rotor hat. I found a local shop that builds street rods that had a small machine shop to do mine.
This particular (Long) housing needed aluminum spacers, I provided Little Shop Mfg some dimensions and they machined aluminum spacers. Everything bolted up perfect, I can’t express how well this kit is engineered and packaged. Customer service is 2nd to none and it fits my 15” wheels perfect.

Gave it a couple coats of black paint, installed everything and took it for a spin. I am very pleased, it spins posi every time, it is very quiet, it doesn’t chatter, the brakes are much better and rides decent to be lowered.

$200.00-1996 - C2500 6 Lug Semi Floating Rear End 3:73 With G80
$575.00-New Eaton Posi LSD Unit
$75.00-Redrill Axles to 5 Lug
$75.00-Machine Axles Diameter To Fit Inside Rotor Hat
$850.00- Little Shop Mfg Complete Disc Brake Kit With Spacers, Rotors, Loaded Emergency Brake Calipers, Hardware,Braided Brake Lines Front & Rear
$120.00-New U-Bolts- Lower & Top Plates
$250.00-New Timken Pinion, Carrier, Axle Bearings
$80.00-Updated Late Model Master Cylinder
$55.00-Adjustable Proportioning Valve
$15.00- Rear Steel Brake Lines
$18.00-2 Quarts Valvoline Gear Oil
$8.00-1 Bottle GM Friction Modifier
$25.00-Chrome Diff Cover (Amazon)
$60.00-Belltech Rear Drop Shackles
$60.00-Belltech Shock Extenders
$145.00-Shorten Factory Driveshaft 1”- New Spicer U Joints
$60.00 Steel 6 Degree Shims
$6.00- Leaf Spring Pins
$20.00- New Grade 8 Hardware
----------------------------------------
$2697.00 TOTAL For Everything Brand New

I also recharged my AC with R12 Installed the Jeep steering shaft, New Quick ratio steering box, power steering pump, power steering lines, front rotors, brakes, bearings,sway bar bushings, fuel pump stripped the frame and repainted everything

Last edited:

DamHoodlum

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
This is awesome indeed! Thanks for the write up! Any chance you could give specific part numbers so we could look things up a little easier? I'm especially curious about which master cylinder and proportioning valve you used.

DamHoodlum

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Last edited:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I asked you about this in another thread but I might as well post it here too in case anyone else is looking for the same info. Do you have the dimensions for the spacer that you needed between the axle flange and the caliper mounting bracket? Also just to clarify, you bought the exact Little Shop kit you linked a few posts up right? The one for 11" drums? The reason I ask is that they offer one for 10" drums as well that is set up for a different axle flange. Do the flanges on your C2500 14 bolt match what's in their pictures in the link you posted?

I'm considering doing this exact swap in my '97 C1500 except possibly ordering some Dutchman 454SS axle shafts instead of having the six lug ones altered.

DamHoodlum

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don’t remember the size of the spacers, Eric @ Little Shop sent me a diagram of the dimensions he needed and made the spacers off of that. This setup takes the bigger square flange to bolt up, NOT the smaller rectangular flange. yes I used the 11” brake kit, with the braided lines, emergency brake, 2002 master cylinder and proportioning valve.
My truck will stop on a dime and the pedal is very good now.

you will get everything needed to bolt right up, I didn’t have to buy any hardware to complete the installation. it’s expensive but works flawless.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Great, thanks again!

I'll get in touch with Little Shop again after I find a decent C2500 six lug 9.5" 14 bolt for the swap.